Lift?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LI Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok how many pounds of lift do I need in my BCD for this config: a full 7mm suit in size 2xl short. A HP steel 100 tank. A alum 30cu pony. approx 100 fsw ? I have dialed my weights in pretty closely to 18 lbs if that matters.

You can use this http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu...imate-wing-lift-calculator-3.html#post7032051 from the wing lift calculator sticky to figure it out yourself if you want.

The short answer is somewhere between 30 - 40 lbs depending on specifics of your gear configuration.

The longer answer is your wing needs to do two things - compensate for exposure suit compression and the change in the weight of the gas you are carrying as well as float itself if you ever have to take it off.

Job #1 is, in your case, 8ish lbs of gas and maybe as much as 20 lbs of buoyancy in your suit - I don't know that you can lose all of that due to suit compression for at 100 feet you'll lose a fair amount of it.That's 28 lbs that need to be compensated for (the call them buoyancy compensators for a reason :D )

Job #2 - Floating the BDC if you have to remove depends on the inherent buoyancy of the BC, the specific tanks you are using, any accessories attached to the BC and whether your weight is on the BC (weight integrated) or on your belt.

If you had to remove it while the tanks were full:

Let's say a steel BP - since that is popular with 7mm BP/W divers (like myself)
-6 for BC (will vary depending on BC specifics)
-3 for reg
-10 for worthington HP100 (possibly different spec if you are using a different brand)
-2 = pony (again may differ with brand)
-?? other stuff on BC - lights, reels - whatever you take

That's - 20 for tank, reg and BC alone

If your weight is integrate, that's another 18 for -38 lb - obviously you'll need a bigger wing than if you wear the weight on a belt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom