Lifted toenail thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

npgeorge

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All,

I know this may seem a little lame, but I'm going to Bonaire in three weeks and unfortunately two days ago I stubbed my toe on a pumpkin (Long story) completely separating it from the toe, except for the base.--The sight of it was enough to make you pass out! Anyways, the ER doc reseated the nail after 2-3 attempts and said I should be okay to dive with it in a few weeks. After two days the pain has already subsided and now it's just sore when I bump the tip and I imagine in a few weeks all pain should be gone but there will still be a good level of discomfort.

I usually wear a full-foot boot with a nylon sock and do notice that often my toes are close to or near the end of the boot. I'd imagine, like most other of my Bonaire trips, that I will have my boots on all day (sometimes night). My question is, anyone have any ideas how how to keep my feet either dry or the nail attached during that time? The pressure tape I use does appear to be fairly waterproof, but i'm guessing it will not last a good day of diving.

I'm guessing I should just trim the nail back as far as possible prior to the trip and pad the end of the boot or pad the toe with a little bit of guaze? I'd prefer not to have to buy new dive boots as I like these hard-soled boots best for the iron shore.

Any thoughts or suggestions would of course be appreciated!

Nick

I'm guessing that nail will be much easier to remove after a couple of weeks. Or, it will re-attach itself and be healed. Keep it well taped and go for it. Losing a nail won't be that big a deal....

Let it be. You want to keep the nail over the bed to maintain as much as possible, the shape of the nail. You want to give the new nail the best chance of not deforming. At least that's what I was told when I borked mine up. You will be able to comfortably diive in a couple of weeks. I was able to, my nail came off in my boot and I didn't even notice.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Funny I tore my toenail off while in Bonaire. It was attached at the base similar to yours for several weeks until I finally got tired of bumping it and went to the Dr and had it removed. Immediate relief and now the new nail is grown back just fine. If it where me I would have it removed now so by the time you go it's all healed over. That nail will not reattach itself and continue to be tender until it comes off. Best of luck either way

Had a similar problem and found water proof covers[look like small condoms] at the drug store...used to keep fingers/toes water proof.......Used Band Aid 'Sport Strips' which have good adhesion, over the nail, then put the cover over that...Worked well to protect the toe from rubbing against my boot and kept it dry.....

-For a one week update: It looks like things have reattached for the lower half of the nail, which is amazing as this was pulled (almost) completely away. I'm going to try the finger condom things and some toe coverings I found online but thus far I've found that "steri-strips" seem to work wonders for holding the nail in place even though I've bumped it a few times accidently. Overall, I'm amazed that I only have a little sensitive at the very top of the nail if I push down but it seems to be healing remarkibly fast.--Hell, I've even been able to trim the nail back a tad so it doesn't get caught anymore.

I'd imagine two weeks from now, when we are in Bonaire, this thing will be a non-issue! (Crosses fingers)

Thanks again for the ideas and moral support.

Maybe you will get lucky. Hope so for your sake. I was able to get mine to lay down for a couple weeks then one day it decided it no longer wanted to be my friend:{ Hope yours stays put.

My understanding as told to me by a podiatrist, so it may be a little distorted in my translation or come from the perspective of one school of thought, is that the main reason to keep the old nail in place is to help maintain the shape of the nail bed so the new nail will have the best chance of growing back with it's original shape. The old nail should eventually fall off and under it will be a paper thin nail that is to be left alone. If you're not too concerned about maintaining the nail shape remove the nail and be done with it and chances are that it will come in normally and will be far more comfortable in the long run. My new nail isn't exactly like it used to be but I'm pretty sure I'm the only one that can see that it's a little different than my other nails.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom