Lifting doubles into truck?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tstormdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Looking for a few ideas.... I have a set of LP 108 & a set of HP 130 doubles. I just bought a newer (to me) pick- up truck. I had a Toyota RAV4 before that. I was able (barely) to lift my doubles into the Toyota- the floor board was at about 30" off the ground. I'm pretty sure I will not be able to lift them into my truck,as the bed is considerably higher. I'm female, live alone & don't have anyone to help me to lift them at home. The only immediate idea I have right now is to carry the doubles into the house, Lift them up to the sofa, then put my back plate on & back pack them to the truck bed. Any better ideas to do this without throwing my back out or otherwise injuring myself.:(

You need to find yourself a boy toy! :wink: (Just kidding)

I honestly don't have any ideas, but can sympothize as I am in this situation from time to time. I hope someone has a good idea for you!

Tammy, have you thought about something like a hitch step? You'd likely have to remove your tailgate to use it, then put it back one once your tanks were loaded or use something like one of the net tailgates, but it might be an option for you. There are several different styles available, including folding ones. I've included a couple of examples for you.

hitch_step_black.jpg

hitch_step.jpg

You could also use something like a cargo carrier to give you a wider platform to stand on, or just put the tanks on that instead.

hitch-mounted-cargo-carrier-6.jpg

Throw away the manifold and bands. Dive them sidemount.:wink:

Failing that carrying them with a plate and harness is probably the way to go.

I find Al doubles pretty easy to carry. I can carry double 104s on my own but prefer not to,just too damn heavy.

I remember watching Edd throw one set of 104s under his arm,pick a second set up by the manifold and walk up the hill from his dock.

I would suggest pulling the doubles onto your truck bed rather than lifting them. The technique is similar to pulling an unconscious person out of guttered pool w/o the use of a backboard.

Squat down on the edge of your truck bed and hold your doubles with your arms straight and relatively relaxed. Using your legs lift up, keeping your back straight. Once you're fully up I think you should be able to drag your doubles onto the truck bed. Might need to build a small raised platform to give your tanks a little "head start".
A Husky X-Table is what I see a lot of divers using over here in CA.
HuskyX-Workhorse_Assy.gif

Makes for a good donning platform as well.

Might be easier to lift with your doubles attached to the Bp. Just for the sake of having some webbing to hold onto.
Don't hurt yourself. If all else fails try to find one of your neighbors. :wink:

I'm about to set up a rack in my garage for tanks. I'm going to buy a standard four or five shelf heavy duty metal rack with wood shelves, then only put in three shelves: one on the bottom, one in the middle, and the one on top. Stage bottles get stood up on the bottom shelf, doubles get stood up on the middle shelf, and random stuff will get put way up high on the top.

I finally realized that just standing tanks on the floor is an inefficient use of space, and makes me bend or work harder to lift up steel tanks. Easier to pick them up and just spin 180* to set them on the rack, or if necessary, leave backplate on and put them on to spin 180* and set them down on the rack. Less wear and tear on me, more space in the garage, and all for maybe $100 of medium duty rack.

Looking for a few ideas.... I have a set of LP 108 & a set of HP 130 doubles. I just bought a newer (to me) pick- up truck. I had a Toyota RAV4 before that. I was able (barely) to lift my doubles into the Toyota- the floor board was at about 30" off the ground. I'm pretty sure I will not be able to lift them into my truck,as the bed is considerably higher. I'm female, live alone & don't have anyone to help me to lift them at home. The only immediate idea I have right now is to carry the doubles into the house, Lift them up to the sofa, then put my back plate on & back pack them to the truck bed. Any better ideas to do this without throwing my back out or otherwise injuring myself.:(

"Don't eat anything larger than your head."

Back
Top Bottom