Light battery makes noise emanate from charging block??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

epolice

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have the two Hydra 5000S+ WSRU lights. When I charge one of my batteries, it makes a noise emanate from the charging block. The noise is not loud but it is noticeable and sounds almost like snow/white noise mixed with that of a generator.

I did some trouble shooting between other batteries and chargers to determine it is the battery itself making this happen. Any ideas?

Batteries should not make that type of noise. If it's making noise, in all likelihood there's an electrical fault that will eventually destroy the battery, and quite possibly anything around it. Faulty battery charging is one of the theorized causes of the Conception fire.

Some batteries do vent when charging, but it is almost imperceptible. If you can't hear it unless your ear is right next to it, it's probably not just venting.

Chargers often make various kinds of noises depending on the type of charger and type of battery being charged. If you are 100% sure it is the battery, and not the charger, I would cease using the battery and get in touch with Kraken. They may want it back to dissect. They probably don't warranty batteries, but it could be indicative of a wider issue with their production, so worth a shot to see if they'll do anything.

It could be nothing, but I tend to err on the side of prudence when it comes to batteries and their charging.

No, it is the charger making the noise but it only makes the noise with this specific battery. It's weird to me.

Don't know exactly what that sounds like. I would not have thought anything of it, except for the fact that my other battery (regardless of which charger I use) does not make the charging block make this sound.

Back
Top Bottom