Light Heads

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

in too deep

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I want a light head with the ability to focus.
I have a 12 volt canister with dual E/O.
Conditions I dive in range from 5' to 40' of visibility. No caves. Open water with some wreck.
Looking at Seaya, Thor, Halcyon, Light monkey.
Are there any others?

Go with the Focus 2.0 It's nice and will work well in lower vis

In my opinion, of the lights you listed, I'd get the Thor. It's not quite as bright as my NLS 40 SuperSpot, but is focusable and the E/O cord that they use won't sefdestruct like all the US made E/O cords. Quite a bit brighter than the other lights you listed. Factory service and support is also very good.

Michael

Is focussing critical? There's some torches with two (or more) beams; a narrow one for signalling and a wider one for overall lighting and video.

I prefer this as the wide beam will be much brighter than the narrow beam, thus more useful. I've an older Light-for-Me NW7 which is my standard go-to torch (works with the suit heater) and also an Anchor 189. The Anchor's got a nice wide spread on the wide beam with warm, cold, red and blue lights. The narrow beam's a reflector. The Anchor's by far the most flexible torch, but the NW7's got a sharper signalling beam. I also like that the Anchor has the option of working standalone or as an umbilical, and that the umbilical cable can be changed.

For video I'll use both torches; the NW7 as primary and the Anchor as the second video light.

Have never found a focussing torch I liked. They all seem flawed, be that too dim (on wide) or with limited focussing ability, or too cumbersome.

I ordered a Focus 2.0, I believe it’ll be perfect for signalling during low visibility dives.
I sent emails to Thor to get info about the Tyra and Tauri but no reply.
Looked at Anchor, their coronas looked to bright, couldn’t confirm.
I have a yellow diving 40w led with 12 degree spot, it’s okay when visibility is good but the large corona creates too much backscatter when the visibility is poor
I had a light for me Tekone head with 4 degree spot and no corona, perfect for low visibility and signalling, but it died.
Trying to figure out how the body comes apart, LfM has terrible customer service, imo.

LfM's poor service reputation, alas, is well deserved. I really like their kit buts their service makes it difficult to recommend. Which is a real pity as their 4Tec torch is great. Same with the NW7. Because they use 4 LEDs with lenses, the beam is tight with little corona, great for poor vis.

The Anchor which uses a reflector has a nice central spot with quite a substantial corona. Nicer in some ways for looking around, but not so good for signaling in lighter environments and has more backscatter than lens torches. It’s video light is probably the best of any multi-purpose torch.

Aside from price, the Halcyon Focus 2 has a strange Goodman handle — which can be swapped for a more standard one. Never been a fan of the switch and know they break. They’re also not uch use for video; not bright nor wide enough.

I pondered the Light Monkey focus, but it uses a reflector so a big corona and a very limited beam width adjustment, so dismissed it.

Since replacing a light for me TEKONE head and picking up a Focus 2.0, I’m now looking for a cordless that offers a similar beam but more importantly little to no corona. Not looking to invest in Halcyon’s cordless versions unless there is nothing else available.

Gralmarine?

Back
Top Bottom