Light Monkey Salvo questions for newbie!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paperdesk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I found a used Salvo for sale for $66 and bought it. Now please tell me about this light! It has no battery pack so I'm thinking of making one. Would this light be 12v? Are there different models? I want to look up an owners manual.

It doesn't need glass accross the reflector right? Just a kind of glass enclosure around the bulb itself.

I obviously don't know anything about this type of light having never used one before.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Ted
4PQZz2nzubCvDZhBA

NJeYMnYJLk15jg4k6

btmjywUG2Vkr8Z3k6

LgBipYqmSJM8ypuF8

Interesting. Sounds like it can take a wide range of voltages.
How can I find out what model this is?

Ted

the ballasts used to fire them have a wide range of input voltages. Think about HID's on a car, they have to be able to fire and sustain anywhere from 11 to 13.6v depending on the state of the alternator and the HID bulb itself requires something like 25,000v to fire and around 100v to sustain.
It is likely a 10w HID, I have one in my garage right now decidedly unused. If the bulb and ballast are bad I would really recommend upgrading to something a bit more useful.
You can contact LM directly for the bulb/ballast, they're rather helpful.
On the battery/charger, I would get from Batteryspace. It might be this one
Li-Ion Battery: 11.1V 15.6Ah (173 Wh) with Anderson connector

Thank you all for the very helpful responses. I have experience with LED's but not HID's. Lucca Brassi, that's quite the post you have there at candlepowerforums. I love that site, I've been a member there for a long time.

So, there doesn't need to be a glass lens in front of the "test tube" HID cover right?

I'm planning on building a balanced charge battery pack with 18650's that I already have. I also have a good charger already. I'm certainly not planning on spending a lot of money on this unit, but it looks like it would be fun to get it going! Really appreciate the help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom