Light stick for a DSMB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chris Richardson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
G'day all

Hoping everyone is keeping safe and covid-free in these crazy times? Can anyone help me please? I'm going on a night dive and the dive shop organising it have stipulated:

"Divers must have a DSMB, torch and some type of light stick for their DSMB all available from the dive shop if needed"

Does PADI or any other diving association have a stipulation for where a light stick (I'm assuming it to be one of the "bend-and-break" chemical ones by virtue of the description "light stick"....?) should be tied to on a DSMB? Mine has no holes (or room to make holes) on the top edge that will be the first point of the DSMB to break the water's surface and hence be seen by someone. There is obviously a hook/eye at the base of the DSMB where the line from the hand reel ties onto so that's the only workable place to fix the light stick to. Failing that, potentially duct-taping the light stick to the top edge of the DSMB is the only other possible solution. Can any dive leaders/divemasters offer a solution?
Many thanks

PADI has nothing to say on this topic.

Many DSMB models have a transparent plastic tube near the top for this purpose. I imagine the dive shop will be happy to rent one for you. It is even possible they will provide it without charge.

PADI has nothing to say on this topic.

Many DSMB models have a transparent plastic tube near the top for this purpose. I imagine the dive shop will be happy to rent one for you. It is even possible they will provide it without charge.

cheers John

Thin piece of bungy, stays in place when inflated or not 20201019_075437.jpg [no plastic tube on this one].

Hi @Chris Richardson

What kind of night dive is it that you need a light on your SMB? I do night drift dives in SE Florida and we put a light on our flag. I am not a fan of the disposable chemlights. I use this from Dive Gear Express. My SMBs have a ring or loop at the top where you could attach a light.
upload_2020-10-18_18-10-52.png

If you shine your dive light up at your flag or SMB at your safety stop, it makes it very visible on the surface and lets the boat know you will be up in a few minutes. I carry a strobe, just in case the boat might have trouble seeing me.

I have a flashing strobe as well , but always have a "12 hour glow 6" Lightstick" with my SMB".
shine your dive light up at your flag or SMB at your safety stop, it makes it very visible on the surface and lets the boat know you will be up in a few minutes.
Very good .

200 hrs , very good , the "Hil Strobe Strong" about $199 Au here, the "Hil Strobe Basic" $119 Au :
Strong:The light is powered by 3 C-cell alkaline batteries and has a burn time of 100 hours at 120 flashes per minute (2 Hz). It has a twist-on rotary switch and is made in the USA.
Basic: 30 hours and is rated to a depth of 150 metres.
Basic for a basic diver, which is me.

I'm thinking one of these might be sufficient if l can find a corner with a large enough sealed area to pierce and attach it to

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 110
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom