Lighter Spring for Dump Valve on Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good advice...I will email them and report what they say :) Thanks!

Check that you don't have an extra gasket in your OPV. I have a Dive Rite Voyager wing that came with a gasket like one would find on where the inflator attaches to the bladder tucked in the OPV. This caused the OPV to not function properly...the spring loaded "valve" could not open as the spring was too compressed for the round plastic bit with the silicone/rubber disc to lift off the opening in the bladder. Removing the flat round donut inflator elbow type gasket fixed things for me.

-Z

Dive Rite replied...quickly and with good info as usual :)

Unfortunately, they only offer one spring tension...so...I am back to using a different spring from a different manufacturer or some other DIY solution...or...a new wing :/

I doubt a new wing will be any different, if Zef’s suggestion doesn’t work out I would trust the maker to have the tension figured out but I fully support modifying stuff to work the way you want it to.

I just checked...the dump valve did not have any extra ring gaskets...but the seal on it has a pretty good indentation on it from the spring pressure. My 18yr old Zeagle does not have as much of an indentation as this one.

So...I will have to either get a new one and hope it is less pressure or see about modifying this one.

I'm still not grasping why the spring pressure is such a large deal here. How often do you have your wing so inflated that the dump spring pressure is an issue?

I'm still not grasping why the spring pressure is such a large deal here. How often do you have your wing so inflated that the dump spring pressure is an issue?

I don't think it is unreasonable for one to expect that one's gear to work as it should/as it is designed.

It is unclear if the spring is original or not. A replacement spring or replacement OPV can be had for relatively little money compared to the peace of mind it may bring.

All that being said...I would recommend that the OP inflate the wing until the OPV activates and releases air....if it can do this then all is fine. The bladder is cut larger than the shell so that there is never a strain on the seams of the bladder. The only time I have ever inflated a wing to the point the OPV activates is during a rescue training scenario to establish positive buoyancy of the victim at the surface, and I just inflated until the OPV burped some air.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom