Lighter Spring for Dump Valve on Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

currently the bladder is at 100psi [just a guess] when fully inflated/pressurized

Curious about the above. I note you are estimating, but if the system had 100 psi, wouldn't the corrugated hose swell up like a balloon?

The string, when pulled, does bleed off pressure...no interference with the cage housing or string.

I still would prefer a weaker spring. Dive Rite says they only offer one spring type. If the new assembly comes and I am incorrect that the bladder is over pressurizing...I would still prefer to get the pressure down...meaning, a lighter spring.

Curious about the above. I note you are estimating, but if the system had 100 psi, wouldn't the corrugated hose swell up like a balloon?

The hose does swell...not like a balloon per se...but it does swell more than I have seen before. The 100psi was used as a guess and as an example.

Well, I have more info. After talking with Dive Rite...it appears this bladder is worn out. The seal where the hose connects has stretched...and it is recommended I retire the unit.

Perhaps, this pressured amount is correct and as intended...from the manufacturer. As such, perhaps it has shortened the lifespan [although, this unit is from around 2003]...either way...the pressure in the unit is too great to now keep the hose to bladder seal from leaking.

I was able to get it to seal with all new parts...but...it appears that it will not be a reliable seal at the current pressures...so...it will fail again unless the overall pressure used is lessened [perhaps, with a lighter spring].

So, I am on the hunt for a new wing. I appreciate everyone's input and wisdom...it appears that this BCD is...hosed!

@ couv lol!

@ lexvil...I'm doing single tank diving now...so about 35-45lbs...I may get back into doubles at some point, but I doubt they will be twin steel 130s like I used to dive. You got an extra wing?

Safety note, Not recommended:

(however, if it were my problem to solve I would)

Take a pair of snips and cut the spring down. Say 1/4 inch of spring material at a time. Until you get desired result.

Saves buying a new wing.

I do have a 35 lb DR voyager XT that I can loan you, i dive a VDH 35 lb in Monterey and really recommend them, he had 3 in stock last week.

I will consider cutting the spring down...if I mess it up, it is cheap to buy one as couv recommend :)

Thanks Lex! Let's take it offline and see what the exact details are...thank you very much!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom