Lightest BP/W system for recreational single tank system?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can use a similar argument for small wings.

When traveling, every pound can make a difference on overweight baggage fees. Speaking of things getting wet. Ever have your gear not completely dry before heading home ? That adds some weight. Spare batteries, scuba tools, photo equipment, etc.. What if you buy something like souvenirs ?

Extra weight adds up fast and with airlines 50lb limit, weight is a factor for travelers.

Last edited:
I do often wonder about the focus on dry travel weight vs function in the water. It's a *Dive* trip after all. I'd look first to the bags and luggage, and second to fins as the "low hanging fruit" for weight savings and the stuff that actually gets wet last.

Tobin

This, this, this right here.

I travel with a DSS SS plate, 17lb torus. Yea, I have to leave the some of my brides "hair products" at home sometimes.

But when I get in the water it's perfect - no added weight required...

True, but there is demand for light weight smaller gear. You can use a similar argument for small wings.

I won't argue that there isn't demand, I just think it is often misplaced. Smaller wings OTOH provided better *in water* performance and ease of use.

I find it odd that people are willing to spend significant $$ on a dive trip and then make gear choices that directly impact the functionality of the gear in the water in an effort to save a few lbs.

I understand the impacts of weight limits and over limit fees, but I'd look at everything other than the actual dive gear first.

Tobin

I won't argue that there isn't demand, I just think it is often misplaced. Smaller wings OTOH provided better *in water* performance and ease of use.

I find it odd that people are willing to spend significant $$ on a dive trip and then make gear choices that directly impact the functionality of the gear in the water in an effort to save a few lbs.

I understand the impacts of weight limits and over limit fees, but I'd look at everything other than the actual dive gear first.

Tobin

Depends on the person, type of diving and travel situation. For tropical warm water 80 degf or warmer, I wear a skin and do not need any additional weight using a softplate. Since I dive with my wife, I also got her a softplate using a combination of tank band and waist pockets for her weighting needs.

There are limited choices with softplates, so it must be relatively low demand.

I'd look first to the bags and luggage, and second to fins as the "low hanging fruit" for weight savings and the stuff that actually gets wet last.

I picked up an Armor Amphibian #166 "stealth mesh" backpack (3 lbs, vs 8+ lbs for my wheeled/framed gear bag) and Cressi Master Frog fins (3.4 lbs / pr, vs. 5.1 lbs for my old pair). The savings was more than enough to permit me a stainless buckle on my harness, which adds only 2.4 oz over the plastic one and had much easier functionality.

Of course, now my checkin is < 35 lbs I'll probably get to haul family member's "spare" regulator sets and makeup bags, too.

You have extra room or weight capacity in your luggage ? You will end up carrying family member's stuff.

I also switched to a duffle bag for scuba trips.

Spend enough time traveling and you will run into all kinds of silly restrictions and airport workers on power trips.

I have several kydex plates with different sizes and weights. If that is the way you want to go then please feel free to PM me. They are rather cheap.

I have several kydex plates with different sizes and weights. If that is the way you want to go then please feel free to PM me. They are rather cheap.

Tom,

To the best of my knowledge only DSS produces Kydex back plates. There are ABS plastic plates. We elected not to use ABS because of the risk of cracking. Kydex is alloy of PVC and Acrylic, which produces a very tough material, often used for gun holsters and knife sheaths.

Unfortunately kydex is not inexpensive.

Tobin

If you have frequent flyer status you simply don't care as you can away with heavier bags. On the other hand I can never understand how people spends thousands on gear and a dive vacation and then buy additional crappy gear to save $50 on excess baggage fees.

Back
Top Bottom