LightMonkey or alternative?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like BS to me. I would be interested to know what light he recommended and what his financial interests are.

He has been using LM for years and still has all his "rentals" and backups LM 15-24. He said LM was a great light for years until they switched to new wire manufacturer less then a year ago. He didn't recommend me anything since he just switched to razor 4200 but can't say how reliable it is yet... especially wireless charger.

Basically this is the reason I'm asking for a recommendation here.

As far as I know - Dive Rite is a LightMonkey under a different logo. Thank you for "Underwater Light Dude" recommendation. I'll definitely take a look on it

Wow, who ever told you that really doesn’t know what they are talking about. They are both based in Lake City, FL. But that is just due to the proximity to local cave diving and how this niche market has developed around these relatively few innovative small businesses. FWIW, Halcyon is not to far away either in High Springs, FL.

I have heard that Halcyon does a fair amount of rebranding other products but would never give a specific claim as I don’t sport any of the BlueH gear myself.

I personally think the Dive Rite, LM and UWLD products are all solid with very good support. I find it hard to believe they would skimp a few penny’s on cheap wiring when their reputations are under such scrutiny in the cave/tech diving community.

FWIW, I recently stepped up to the Dive Rite EX35 light and am pretty happy with it so far. I got the 90* cord routing as well.

The funny thing is wire is wire. SJOOW is nothing special, you can get the exact same stuff from Home Depot, Lowe's, any electrical supply place. In fact, I've replaced the cable on more than one light for less than a dollar a foot.

The funny thing is wire is wire. SJOOW is nothing special, you can get the exact same stuff from Home Depot, Lowe's, any electrical supply place. In fact, I've replaced the cable on more than one light for less than a dollar a foot.

I think some folks would be shocked see what typical cave diving gear looked like in the early days before you had your pick of several brands for every need. My first dive buddy used a Wing that was sewn out of canvas with an inner bladder made from inner tube. Early lights were makeshift at best. You can still find parts of 12v automotive bulbs on the floor of the Blue Room in Jug. It sure is nice to be able to just buy what you need. But the sport does seem to have lost some of the DIY requirements that was once a big part of this.

I realize cave diving started not so long ago and there was no any standards and all these cool gear. However it doesn't mean we should not use cool gear now.

On the other hand - there is a **** ton of crappy gear camouflaged as a "tech" grade. I want to enjoy my dive, not to troubleshoot equipment failures and wait weeks until my gear comes back from warranty repair. Also, $1700 is kind of a lot of money to pay for unreliable light

I haven't heard of anyone having any issues out of LM lights. Sure there is the occasional one but nothing like what you are describing. Honestly most divers do not need a can light. The handhelds are good for 3 hour long dives easily and the light output is comparable to a can light.

I want to enjoy my dive, not to troubleshoot equipment failures and wait weeks until my gear comes back from warranty repair. Also, $1700 is kind of a lot of money to pay for unreliable light

Just do not see that for anyone purchasing a LM light based on my experience and also having dived with a number of buddies who use a LM as their primary - both old and new lights. Perhaps your instructor could join in on the conversation and give us more information.

I haven't heard of anyone having any issues out of LM lights. Sure there is the occasional one but nothing like what you are describing. Honestly most divers do not need a can light. The handhelds are good for 3 hour long dives easily and the light output is comparable to a can light.

I've been using Sola 1200 for years for both rec and tec dives, but as I started go deeper and stay longer - I really feel 1200 lumens is not bright enough not talking about battery time

I have the LM32vf and had absolutely no issues with quality. It is very high quality gear.
The variable focus and optics with a "dirty" centre spot are not so impressive. This is probably due to the large surface area emitter they are using.
I'd consider DiveRite EX35 if I was buying a primary today. It has similar output but with a smaller single emitter and thus potentially better optics.

I've been using Sola 1200 for years for both rec and tec dives, but as I started go deeper and stay longer - I really feel 1200 lumens is not bright enough not talking about battery time

Try the Big Blue 4500 handheld. Stay away from their can lights. For under $400 it is really hard to beat for dives up to 3 hours long.

Back
Top Bottom