Lights, filters, both?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I went with a Sola 3800 do I need two of them or will one suffice?

I have a Sola 3800 and like it...but only because I pro-dealed it and got it at a steep discount/did not pay retail. If you want 2 lights, which is great for backscatter minimizing, I would seriously also look at Big Blue lights. They make excellent lights that offer solid value. I have a few from them for dive lights but they also make good video lights. You might be able to get 2 for the price of 1 Sola depending on what you get.

Good discussions....a few weeks in Sabang I was diving a wreck at 90 feet and my setup is 2 Sola 3800 lights with the backscatter flip frame with 2 red filters...20-50 feet and 50 feet Plus. For distances of 3-4 feet running the lights at about 2/3 power was more than adequate and in some cases I would lower to minimum level if I was up closer.. I did find with the lights I have the 50 feet + filter was actually to red and when I switched to the 20-50 feet filter the reds were pronounced but not over powering. This confirms the earlier posts about the filters and lights. With out the filter some color was lost but for my preference the 20-50 filter was a good balance.
Are the filters a Sola accessory, or something you can add to any light?

It hadn't occurred to me to filter the light source at depth. But then I'm a little slow sometimes.

Are the filters a Sola accessory, or something you can add to any light?

It hadn't occurred to me to filter the light source at depth. But then I'm a little slow sometimes.

Use filters on the GoPro lens, not the lights. When in doubt, take a couple pictures with and without and change it up to ensure you get the shot you want. Ideally, take video like that..then grab stills as your pictures.

Back
Top Bottom