Lightweight BCD suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nanight

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I’m currently using a Cressi Air Travel 2.0, which is quite nice, but it adds too much buoyancy when empty (almost 2 kg).

So.. I would like a BCD, back inflated.
Around or below 3 kg in total weight as I travel a lot.
Preferably neutral of negative in the water when empty, as I dive a lot with dry suit and already carry a lot of lead.
Any suggestions?

Anyone has a Cressi Patrol and care to weight it down in water when empty?

AL backplate/wing. You may have to replace the wing after 40 years or so.

I am using a xdeep ghost.
Very lightweight (2.3kg). Not sure if it's neutrally buoyant though.
Xdeep ghost is probably negative, as the backplate is aluminum. It’s generally really nice, but I don’t like their integrated weight system, as the weight pockets tend to hang down a lot from the belt.

Preferably neutral in the water when empty, as I dive a lot with dry suit and already carry a lot of lead.

and if you go to something negative (s-steel) you can carry less......

A fabric BP/W 'plate' with aluminum buckles and D rings would be the closest to neutral. Without looking at adding padding for its buoyancy to compensate other bits that are negative.
Beginners Guide To BP/W

Why absolutely neutral?? As opposed to a little negative being fine?

There are many options for weight pockets from many companies, down to small trim pockets.

A cutout steel plate would be most efficient at low weight that is also useful as dive weight. Aluminum's low density (2.7g/cm3) means only 2/3 of its carry across the beach, or travel, weight is negative in the water. But aluminum components will likely reduce your travel weight.

A fabric BP/W 'plate' with aluminum buckles and D rings would be the closest to neutral. Without looking at adding padding for its buoyancy to compensate other bits that are negative.
Beginners Guide To BP/W

Why absolutely neutral?? As opposed to slightly negative being fine?

There are many options for weight pockets from many companies, down to small trim pockets.

A cutout steel plate would be most efficient at low travel weight that is also useful as dive weight. Aluminum's low density (2.7g/cm3) means only 2/3 of its travel weight is negative in the water.

Sorry, I meant neutral or negative. Didn’t realize there were light weight BCDs that were actually negative. I’ll check in those weight pockets.

Zeagle Covert will fill your requirements.

I am using a xdeep ghost.
Very lightweight (2.3kg). Not sure if it's neutrally buoyant though.

Hmm 2.3kg is about 5.07lb. A regular Al bp/w, such as an regular size AL plate, single 30lb wing, DIR type of harness set up including a knife and additional stainless steel buckle on waist strap a at 5.57lb. exactly half of a lb difference, not that much at all.

The surprising part is the harness itself is 1.9lb. the stainless components: 2x buckles, 5x d-ring, 7x triglides; these accounts for 1lb. Webbings and knife are 0.9lbs. if I were to replace all stainless steel to AL components, they will be about 0.4lb. (density of steel 7.6, AL 2.7g/ccm)
then the harness will be 1.3lb, making the while bp/w just below 5lb. This is just for the sake of discussion. I don't think 0.5lb make difference in real life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom