Lightweight hood for scalp sun protection?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JDelage

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Could anyone point me to a super lightweight hood I could wear for sun protection? I have short (and few...) hair and I sometimes get scalp sunburns. Ideally I'd like something rashguard-weight like....

my divebuddy uses a simple bathing cap. very lightweigth and inexpensive. not very stylish...

Better looking than the standard black beanie with chin strap...but is it secure? Any chance of it popping off on a back roll or giant stride?

The standard black beanie with a chin strap makes me look horrid but I put up with it for all its functionality. But I'm vain and want to look more stylish.:p

I use a Lavacore hood when I just need protection and not really warmth. Very thin and inexpensive.

I now recognize that I am of another generation
I use or have used:

1) A large red bandana, with all four ends tied to form a scalp cap
2) A O'Neil surf cap with strap
3) A old beat up one size fits all canvass beach hat ( a Kalifornia hat)

A Canadian once told me "When you are cold fashion doesn't count "

I would modify that statement "When you are subject to a sun burned head fashion doesn't count !!!"

Sam Miller, 111

Use a bandana.

Someone used to sell one called the seadoo or something.

I am using a noprène very thin bandana. And yes, it may comme off my head on an occasional backroll. So I make sur the the rubber of my mask sits on top of the back of the bandana.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom