Line Reels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divezonescuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello:

We were wondering if any PS teams out there actually use line reels on a regular basis for either actual incidents or for training.

We are looking to see if any reasonable combinations of utility, durability, and cost are available. We have been using the $12 home depot electrical cord specials in training and feel that they fall short.

We have 2 500' 3/8 poly reels we use mainly for on ice operations. Rarely we use them to span across a body of open water and attach 3 divers to them and have the surface team sweep the area. We have also in the past used them to rappel down a bridge, enbankment, or dam. They have a niche but are not often used in warm weather.

Sorry for the delay, but the pictures I took won't post here. We made ours by getting a hard plastic drum with 500' of line the put a 2in PVC base around it and painted it all black. Then we put some stoppers on it to control length. I hope this helps.

Hey divezone,

We had the Arlington Fire Department Swift Water Rescue and Dive Team talk at my dive club this month. They talked to us about rescuing people who get caught in flooding. I didn't ask them what kind of equipment they were using but maybe you might want to get in touch with the Arlington Texas Fire Department. They should be able to help you with your question.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom