Line skills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah I'll be down later in the summer (or your winter). One crappy freezing here winter wasn't enough for me :D

Yeah I'll be down later in the summer (or your winter). One crappy freezing here winter wasn't enough for me :D

Well, our's is more like your summer! :D

'spose it'll be July when you come down, I'll be in the U.K then!!

Some very good pointers in this thread. From my experience I would really recomend getting a nice reel like the two mentioned in this thread. It seems there is a wide variety of reels on the market with a very broad price range. It also seems that there is no ok or medium reel haha, the range goes from crap, crap, to wow... very nice. If you want to continue training and diving in overhead enviroments invest in something that will work well for you.

I have seen most that start technical or overhead diving try to focus on the main equipment items first eg. twinsets, wings, regs..ect unlike most sports where you get the main item and you can do without the extras I think cave diving needs to start with the 'extras' - For example: primary reel and safety reel (safety can be a finger reel!), primary light and back up lights, and equally important cutting tools.

Get good safety items first, rent the others build your rig with the necessary safety items then get the common stuff.

If you are able to dive before your training course try to focus on your buoyancy and trim as much as possible. Horizontal trim is probably the hardest for most to learn! Have fun and get as much out of the training you can!

I actually spent more on my primary light than my doubles :)

i spent more on my primary light than *both* sets of my doubles!

Tie Offs
Placement
Line routing
Line routing to avoid line traps
Line (buddy) protocol

Just a few.

Task loading involved with reel work
Maintaining trim and buoyancy during these skills.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

so... you used it in the water yet?

Nope believe it or not. I just checked back in here to download your vids and saw your post.

I've been in more or less complete confusion about where to go next with my diving but I just got myself my first ever set of doubles (http://www.dirdirect.com/Halcyon-Twin-Set-Unit.html): feel faintly embarrassed about all the H's given my inherent strokieness :D and taking them out for a test drive on Monday. I'll then take the reel out for real rather than around my house. I have to say it's less wieldy than I thought it'd be, at least on land. Although you can tell the material and build is excellent.

Have requested a place for fundies in Sep just waiting to see if there's space and will move to cavern from there. Did my drysuit course too which was as expected a non-event. Been doing lengths in the pool back swimming so now it's just a question of joining up the dots, seeing whether I can pass fundies and then moving along to overheads.

Apologies to those who my enthusiasm offended earlier in this thread - it's a life long affliction: my eyes can get bigger than my apppetite. But bar the RB (which my buddy is progressing with) the rest of the bits are coming together, although I've decided to ensure I have good basics (i.e. fundies) prior to doing cavern.

Thanks again for the vids - they're really helpful for prep and without asking to be flamed, the UTD vids could do with looking at your vids in terms of useful instruction. Context and humour make it so much more soakable.

Just my £0.02.

J

I have to say it's less wieldy than I thought it'd be, at least on land.

I find them easier to use in the water, though that probably won't be your initial experience.

Thanks again for the vids - they're really helpful for prep and without asking to be flamed, the UTD vids could do with looking at your vids in terms of useful instruction. Context and humour make it so much more soakable.

LOL, no worries.

Regarding the UTD (well, 5thd-x) videos: I agree. They don't really show the how... the camera is pulled back too far. That may be by design, I don't know. When the new UTD videos (filmed last September) come out, we'll see.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom