Lion Air flight JT610 crashes into sea after take-off from Jakarta...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CONTEXT:

All Airbus Models are "Fly by wire", I can't comment on Boeing, I suspect Dreamliner (787) is too

With Fly by wire NONE of the flight controls are directly linked to the actual components. The inputs go into computers, the pilots "request" a control input and if the parameters are correct the control surface moves.

Modern cars are drive by wire, your throttle and steering wheel aren't directly connected - they go via computers.

I remember the brouhaha of the general public when twin jets were introduced, and the Certification and validation to allow these to fly across the Atlantic directly.

Nowadays no one gives a second thought to flying across the Pacific in a 777. You'd be shocked to find out how many computers run each engine.

There's also less margin for maintenance error with computers - change a box and plug another box into it to carry out a test. Mechanical linkages with lots of nuts and bolts to come loose however...
Can you name a car that has no direct connection from the steering wheel to the wheels? Tractors have done this for years but I am unaware of a car that works that way.

Can you name a car that has no direct connection from the steering wheel to the wheels? Tractors have done this for years but I am unaware of a car that works that way.

it simply does not exist…. only the throttle partially… but the steering wheel it's Always connected… with the help of electric or hydraulic power steering….

it simply does not exist…. only the throttle partially… but the steering wheel it's Always connected… with the help of electric or hydraulic power steering….
Yep

There’s a recognized problem (erroneous cockpit readings that could cause the airliner to dive) and 189 are already dead, and the airlines continue to operate these planes? Blows my mind how a warning is sufficient?

Now, I’m checking my flights to see if any of them are Boeing 737 MAXs...if they are, do I get on them or not? :rant:

How do you forecast or prevent an airline from switching an airplane type out from underneath you during the interval between ticket purchase and actual flight time ?

What is a pitot tube? How does it work?

Covers the air speed indicator when the plane is left for any length of time in tropical climates... apparently wasps like to build mud nests in them which has been the root cause of a number of accidents over the years.

See detailed ATSB investigation:
Investigation: AO-2018-053 - Airspeed indication failure on take-off involving Airbus A330, 9M-MTK, Brisbane Airport, Queensland, on 18 July 2018

Pitot tubes seem so 'horse and buggy', why not use radar or GPS to determine speed ? Anytime your using a life support system that can easily be disabled by a wasp nest you really need to re access your processes/technology!

Pitot tube failure would be a tragic cause as any pilot, particularly one with +5000 hours, ___should____ be able to fly the aircraft in clear weather during the daylight with no instruments whatsoever.....we look out the window for visual references.....

Having said that it HAS happened in the past, and that has lead to increased and specific training.

Birgenair Flight 301 - Wikipedia

Back in the day (at least in the USA) the vast majority of pilots were ex-military, and I'm always more relaxed to see a gray-haired guy in the cockpit, praying he's ex-military and got in tons of flight hours on an F-16 or something in his past life. These days, most pilots are civilian background only and trained up with minimal hours flying little Cessnas, which is self evident as I watch the incredible lack of flying skills/common sense displayed on the numerous aircraft accident/disaster series running on TV these days! I'm always shocked/dismayed at some of the Morons flying our planes these days, mind-blowing!

Pitot tube failure would be a tragic cause as any pilot, particularly one with +5000 hours, ___should____ be able to fly the aircraft in clear weather during the daylight with no instruments whatsoever.....we look out the window for visual references.....

Having said that it HAS happened in the past, and that has lead to increased and specific training.

Birgenair Flight 301 - Wikipedia

Actually, windows are considered obsolete, the Air Force and Boeing ditched the rear view window on their newest fancy (expensive) aerial refueling tanker and replaced it with a severely overpriced/unreliable TV monitor instead. The window worked just fine and was 100% reliable but didn't deliver as much profits to the contractor so now it's time for 'new and improved'!

Pitot tubes seem so 'horse and buggy', why not use radar or GPS to determine speed ? Anytime your using a life support system that can easily be disabled by a wasp nest you really need to re access your processes/technology!
Airspeed, not ground speed.

Back
Top Bottom