Lion fish hunting robot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"pretty cool for hunting lion fish at depth".

Too bad the video doesn't show that...

Try this

Last edited:
The video shows lion fish free swimming in shallow water on a bright sunlit bottom. Not at all where I usually encounter these little f**ckers...

Interesting video. I wonder how well it will handle current?

Not sure how successful this robot will be in the real world. I guestimate that over 90% of the lionfish i have seen have been tucked up under a coral head. This machine could not reach them.

On our recent trip to Utila one of the dives was a lionfish hunt. We spotted, the DMs killed. The lionfish were skittish and hard to target. this is a little unusual but very real. The majority were also hidden in small crevaces and were hard to target with a pole spear. The robot would have been useless as it could not get within several feet.

Interesting video. I wonder how well it will handle current?

Not sure how successful this robot will be in the real world. I guestimate that over 90% of the lionfish i have seen have been tucked up under a coral head. This machine could not reach them.

On our recent trip to Utila one of the dives was a lionfish hunt. We spotted, the DMs killed. The lionfish were skittish and hard to target. this is a little unusual but very real. The majority were also hidden in small crevaces and were hard to target with a pole spear. The robot would have been useless as it could not get within several feet.

Since it appears this "robot" is actually man-controlled...seems like a lot of time/effort and energy expended to find,stun and capture...No details presented regarding real-world working depth or battery run-times...

For $5,000 you can name one of the robots. I bet you could eradicate many more than the robots by just "funding" lion fish hunters with $5,000.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom