Lion Fish Pattaya/Sameasan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arizona

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
While diving on Sunday at Koh Chan my dive group spotted a lone Lion Fish. I have never seen them in the area before. I have heard from others this is unusual and a few have been spotted recently elsewhere in the area. On the West Coast and perhaps even further south around Koh Tao this would be more common. Has anyone else seen them in the Pattaya area? I wonder if this is an unusual migration as a result of prolonged warmer temps? Hope this is not a negative impact on the ecosystem.

I have never seen them in large numbers but have observed Lion fish in the area occasionally at times.
The last one I saw was around the shot line on the descent to the kood wreck.

Can't answer your question, but they have been spotted in the Carribean as well, where they are not native and don't have any natural predetors.

I read about the Caribbean invasion last summer in a DAN magazine. Seems like a nasty problem. It was speculated the Goliath Grouper may be a predator of Lion Fish. Perhaps no big deal in Sameasan but it did seem very odd.

I honestly think that the only overpopulation we all should really worry about is the overpopulation of us humans.

Maybe we should start eating one another?

I honestly think that the only overpopulation we all should really worry about is the overpopulation of us humans.

Maybe we should start eating one another?

I have recently been in the Uk for a while and judging by the size of a lot of the girls there now, it would certainly be a plentifull food source for a long time to come.

Back
Top Bottom