Lionfish Eradication: Recipes, Killing Techniques, and Information

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reef.org is a great reference, but Dr James Morris and Paula Whitfield from NOAA are subject matter experts. The main researcher at reef.org is a scientist from Oregon. NOAA, reef.org and the USGCS do collaborate though. As far accurate, up to date information, the folks at NOAA have it. We take lionfish to the lab at NOAA and Duke for research quite frequently and usually once a month someone from NOAA is on one of the boats for lionfish research.

Cool. I have found my bible now: Morris, J.A., Jr. (Ed.). 2012. Invasive Lionfish: A Guide to Control and Management.
Gulf and Caribbean Fisheries Institute Special Publication Series Number
1, Marathon, Florida, USA. 113 pp.

This Publication Is Available From:
Gulf and Caribbean Fisheries Institute, Inc.
2796 Overseas Highway, Suite 119
Marathon, Florida 33050 USA
Gulf and Caribbean Fisheries Institute
or
NOAA Central Library
NCCOS | Our Research Publications

:cool2:

This will ensure I do not propagate faulty information on the boat.

Yesterday we had a look around the shallows in the channel between the islands of Saint Kitts and Nevis at 35-60 feet depth and happy to report that there were areas where you had to look very hard to find lionfish.

The reefs closer to shore are another story though. It's a massacre down there. You can shoot them until you reach your turning pressure and barely make an impact.

No shortage here of people willing to get involved. Restaurants are starting to figure out how to cook 'em and divers are keen to help.

Now a new problem is to educate people on how to shoot lion-fish with minimal impact. It's no good to me if they crawl around the reef on their hands and knees and shoot barrel sponges... :blinking:

This is going to be a long process... On the upside, my LDS here is on the ball and lion-fish issues are starting to become part of the boat briefings.

Uploading an ugly shot for critique of how to strike with less damage to the reef. How would you have done it differently?

Here's a more peaceful clip of reef destruction I witnessed a couple years back:

Cameron

Take more time with the shot. Reposition to a side shot so that the coral is not catching the force and getting broken. Lionfish, if not spear trained, are very confident of their weapons and will often remain in that defensive position while the best shot is set up.

Am I correct in interpreting this to mean that the only way to legally take a Lionfish in Key Largo without an organized tournament is via a net?
Gear Requirements
Legal Gear: hook and line, spear, hand-held nets and any otherwise legal harvest gear

Spears may not be used:

• Within 100 yards of a public swimming beach, any commercial or public fishing pier, or any part of a bridge from which public fishing is allowed.
  • Within 100 feet of any part of a jetty that is above the surface of the sea - except for the last 500 yards of a jetty that extends more than 1,500 yards from the shoreline.
  • In Monroe County from Long Key north to the Miami-Dade County line.
  • In any body of water under the jurisdiction of the Department of Environmental Protection, Division of Recreation and Parks (Florida Park Service). Possession of spearfishing equipment is prohibited in these areas, unless it is unloaded and properly stored.
Lionfish Recreational Regulations

I was tempted to grab a Lionfish spear (the little/basic one with no barbs) and a Lionfish keeper tube for my trip down there just to have on hand in case we see any.

I'm curious how many people have been stung by them while wielding this contraption.

Lionfish Collecting Net - Clear Vinyl | Reef Environmental Education Foundation

.... the only way to legally take a Lionfish in Key Largo without an organized tournament is via a net?...

Well you can hook n line 'em or if you own lobster trap licenses, you technically can harvest LF's as a bycatch so there are alternate ways. But you still have a handful of restrictions on special classes, gear, location, transiting rules, and on & on. Local knowledge is crucial.

Well you can hook n line 'em or if you own lobster trap licenses, you technically can harvest LF's as a bycatch so there are alternate ways. But you still have a handful of restrictions on special classes, gear, location, transiting rules, and on & on. Local knowledge is crucial.

Thank you for the write-up. That’s what I was thinking from the websites that I’ve visited.

I’ll just pass on that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom