Lionfish Hunting and gathering

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chillyinCanada

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I first heard about this in 2017 but now 2 years later, it is still in testing phase. Has anyone out there read or seen anything more current?

Full Page Reload

I can only speak about Florida where several of us are doing work with the state's FWC on lionfish.. I haven't heard of this type of robot getting any state funding here. But there are other electronic devices that are being actively funded and tested in FL. The most promising and currently producing the highest number of yields is the purse type trap which also has outstanding cost to yield numbers. We have very large areas now that have been almost 99% eliminated of LF that were once full of them due to divers efforts. Now most of the research is focusing on lionfish's movement and migration. Killing/capturing LF's is easy,,,,,,Finding them consistently s they move is very difficult. In FL deep or shallow waters in the next 2-5 years I think the purse traps will make the most impact. Just my opinion and we catch alot of LF's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom