Lionfish Hunting FLL/Pompano

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaJeffy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm heading down to Fort Lauderdale area next week, and looking to do some diving and lionfish hunting

Looking for recommendations on which sites might have an abundance of lionfish, for me to slay will be likely doing a few days of charters outta Pompano

....Looking for recommendations on which sites might have an abundance of lionfish, for me to slay will be likely doing a few days of charters outta Pompano

Pompano is a hugely popular hunting location for both the tourist reefs and even more so on the very shallow (shore-diveable) reefs. Many of the LF's have been contained. The best place to look for LF's is deeper than the 100 ft line where many dive boats don't go. Don't know who you are diving with, but the 6 pack hunting boats know where to find the LF's and then tell you the best nitrox mix to dive it. Good news is that LF's hang out with the bugs and the bugs have been plentiful thanks to Irma. So if you don't find LF's, you should certainly find bug limits.

Off topic, but Windfinder is not looking pretty for the next 10 days.

South Florida Diving Headquarters, Sam Falcon can lead you on some good hunts, mainly wrecks. Give him a buzz

So how many lion fish did you slay....?

Not many left shallow. They're out kinda deep now but they're out there.

Not many left shallow. They're out kinda deep now but they're out there.
... The best place to look for LF's is deeper than the 100 ft line ...

The boat you used is a great operation,,,but next visit sign up VERY early with Conrad at Miss Conduct charters ( 6-pack ) and he'll both run the distance and the depth to make sure you can feed a family army and then some. There is a very specific travel pattern we are seeing with LF's and it's getting more predictable to find them both shallow and deep, but it takes local knowledge of what's been happening the week previous to your dive.

I'm diving with SFDHQ in the morning on the rodeo 25 which is about 120 feet ish. I'll report back tomorrow afternoon and tell you what's out there. I always see them on that wreck!

I ended up diving out of Fort Lauderdale with American Dream for a few days, and managed to pick off only 3 lionfish, 2 on second reef and 3 at Hog Heaven

I like to dive 25% nitrox.. 152' at 1.4 … Gives you a good range when hunting in the 100'+ deeps...

Jim...

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom