Lionfish Hunting Near Jupiter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mckinness

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I will be in S Florida doing some diving from March 25-April 1. I am thinking of buying the equipment to take some lionfish around Jupiter and was wondering if it is worth it. I am a noob when it comes to UW hunting. I was thinking pole spear and low buck containment system. I usually dive with JDC and a few other operators. I also love to beach dive when I can find a buddy. So if anyone is free that week and wants to do some shore dives or maybe make a day trip to the Keys I got transportation and would enjoy the company. Any advice on the lionfish hunting decision would be great. Thanks in advance.

Brent

JDC sells the short spears that people use to cull lionfish. Force-E and Divers Direct have similar spears. If you want to protect yourself from being stung, get a zookeeper. Not cheap but a good system for containment.

Most of the reef lines that charters visit have very few lion fish since divers cull them regularly. You have to get off the beaten path to find a significant number of them. When I swim on top of the reefs to hunt for lobster, I'll see lionfish on the secondary and tertiary ledges that are 200-500 yards east of the main ledges: few divers hit those spots since they stick to the scenic main ledges. Additionally, there are a fair number of lionfish on the deep ledge, but charters don't go there often because of the depth.

For shore diving, check out Gold Coast Scuba in Lauderdale by the Sea: they have an active Meetup.com shore dive group: shore diving is good in the south Broward area: aside from Blue Heron Bridge, there's not much shore diving in Palm Beach County

... to take some lionfish around Jupiter and was wondering if it is worth it.....

OHH HECK YAA !!

And what's really cool is you don't even need a license to catch lionfish! Like you said, get a 3 prong pole spear and start popping. Just to keep your costs down, I'd recommend a cheap pair of EMT shears or even kitchen scissors too along with a small laundry mesh bag. After you hit the lion, keep it on your tri-tip spear for stability. Use your scissors to cut off all the spines and fins, then put it in your mesh bag. JDC captains / DM's can help teach you how to filet them back at the dock and baggie them up. Tip> the lion skin peels off if you grab it with your gloved fingers rather than cutting while still on the bones. They also can recommend local restaurants that will take your pre-filleted lionfish and cook it for you for dinner with a couple of side items. One bite and you'll be hooked at how good it tastes and so fresh.

.... and was wondering if it is worth it....

Lionfish sells for $28.00 per pound,,,,more than grouper and most other fish in the display case. Bring 4 nice lionfish back to the dock and you just paid for your dives that day.

... When I swim on top of the reefs to hunt for lobster, I'll see lionfish on the secondary and tertiary ledges that are 200-500 yards east of the main ledges...

See that ?? Sportxlh just gave away his secret spots to help you start catching lionfish.

Go super slow, carefully cut the spines underwater and slay away at them !!

Last edited:
I will be in S Florida doing some diving from March 25-April 1. I am thinking of buying the equipment to take some lionfish around Jupiter and was wondering if it is worth it. I am a noob when it comes to UW hunting. I was thinking pole spear and low buck containment system. I usually dive with JDC and a few other operators. I also love to beach dive when I can find a buddy. So if anyone is free that week and wants to do some shore dives or maybe make a day trip to the Keys I got transportation and would enjoy the company. Any advice on the lionfish hunting decision would be great. Thanks in advance.

Brent

Brent:

Taking home a few lionfish to eat and cleaning up the reef is a win/win! If you are looking for some lionfish gear, we have what you need.

If you are only going to take a few fish and not do it on a frequent basis, it may be practical to buy the shears and trim the spines of each fish and use an inexpensive mesh bag to hold your catch (rather than a dedicated lionfish container - which allows you to carry untrimmed fish).

Here's a link to all our lionfish gear and accessories:

Lion Fish Pole Spears and Accessories | MAKO Spearguns

Lion Fish Killer Pole Spear | MAKO Spearguns

MLFK-2T.jpg

MAKO Lionfish / Safety Shears

MLFSS.3-2T.jpg

lionfish-safety-shears-sheath.jpg

Spearfishing Gloves - Cut and Puncture Resistant | MAKO Spearguns

Last edited:
be sure to drop by Stuart Scuba (www.stuartscuba.com) and check out the Vero Beach Scuba Club on Facebook. We dive a lot around Jupiter and have been seeing areas with lots of lionfish. A number of our members are very experienced and aggressive lion hunters. You are more than welcome to join us!

be sure to drop by Stuart Scuba (www.stuartscuba.com) and check out the Vero Beach Scuba Club on Facebook. We dive a lot around Jupiter and have been seeing areas with lots of lionfish. A number of our members are very experienced and aggressive lion hunters. You are more than welcome to join us!
Wow Thanks for the invite I will look you guys up!

Brent:

Taking home a few lionfish to eat and cleaning up the reef is a win/win! If you are looking for some lionfish gear, we have what you need.

If you are only going to take a few fish and not do it on a frequent basis, it may be practical to buy the shears and trim the spines of each fish and use an inexpensive mesh bag to hold your catch (rather than a dedicated lionfish container - which allows you to carry untrimmed fish).

Here's a link to all our lionfish gear and accessories:

Lion Fish Pole Spears and Accessories | MAKO Spearguns

Lion Fish Killer Pole Spear | MAKO Spearguns

MLFK-2T.jpg

MAKO Lionfish / Safety Shears

MLFSS.3-2T.jpg

lionfish-safety-shears-sheath.jpg

Spearfishing Gloves - Cut and Puncture Resistant | MAKO Spearguns
Ordered the 3 n 1 pole spear, gloves, and transport tube. Can't wait to use it!!

Ordered the 3 n 1 pole spear, gloves, and transport tube. Can't wait to use it!!
Wow Thanks for the order AND for letting us know about the it here. I'd love to hear how the new gear works out for you!

Dive Safe
dano

Dano, Book'em. Couldn't resist! LOL! Headed to JDC this am and I am doing 4 dives today, so maybe I will harvest a few!

Also, after you have them on the spear, sometimes if you don't get a good hit on them, they may swim off, especially if the spear doesn't have little barbs on it. One way to keep them still while cutting the spines (the big frilliy ones are not venemonous and neither is the tail), is to stick your thumb in their mouth. The teeth aren't big enough to hurt you. Or you can grab em by the eyes. REEF.org has some good videos as does youtube. Happy Hunting.
Oh, almost no lionfish off the beach in Broward. The reefs are pretty well monitored by divers. You might find an odd one here or there, but I don't even carry my spear anymore on a beach dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom