Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I still find it amazing that FL dive shops don't advertise lionfish dives. I don't even find anything on the Narcosis website. Seriously, I would think I'm not the only person interested in it (and doesn't dive every week/day/etc).

Ricardo - I take it you're talking about the barbed tips being bad for lionfishing, I get it. If you can't get them off the spear, then that's a short dive where you have to pay attention to the end of the spear.

Got a question about spear fishing lion fish, especially for people without prior spear fishing experience. How often do reef (or other?) sharks show up wanting your catch? What sort of experiences do people have dealing with this?

I'm especially interested from the perspective of someone who's not out to eat them, just whack'em and drop'em, but then again, people who want to take home the catch may be interested in that angle.

Richard.

Yes. You are correct. I find that barbless tips work best, also thin and long help. Aim for the head. It preserves the fillet, usually kills the lionfish instantly and won't put up a fight.

Now, there are several valid reasons why dive operators don't advertise lionfish hunts, but they will cater and help you, even get you in with a group that is doing just that.
Some folks dispatch, and leave behind. I don't think that's a good idea at all. It's not only illegal in FL, but turns reef critters into a divers menace. Sharks, eels and groupers that get fed will harass divers.

One other tip, get lionfish gloves too. They help to keep you focused while hunting, and are easy to find in any dive shop along the FL east coast.

Some folks dispatch, and leave behind. I don't think that's a good idea at all. It's not only illegal in FL

Interesting. What does the actual law say? I found a Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission Source stating "The practice of feeding lionfish to other predatory species while diving should be avoided because it is dangerous and illegal." What I did not see was any requirement that you must remove the speared lion fish rather than yank your spear free and swim off. Even the follow up FAQ states "The practice of feeding lionfish to other predatory species while diving should be avoided because it is dangerous and illegal in state waters."

I'm not talking about hanging into it to actively feed predators.

Richard.

If the reef is home to resident Reef Sharks, Nurse Sharks, Eels, and/or Goliath Groupers that have been fed, or that are commonly fed by divers, they will be all over the hunters in a flash. I've cough just one little lionfish, 2" long, and less than a minute later, its like someone rang the dinner bell.

Now, if the reef is one that is home to critters that are not being fed, you won't have a problem.

When lionfish hunting, it's good to:
Ask dive operator to take you where people hunt.
Do it as a team.
Recognize Lionfish habitat and preferred hanging spots.
Keep an eye on your buddy and on resident wildlife.
Stop if sharks get too inquisitive.
Have an inflatable smb on the Zookeeper tube, and use it if necessary, float your catch out of the way.
Stay calm, cool and collected. Most of the time, a shark or an eel is just curious and will look and move on. If they get too close, it's best to stop and find another spot or float your catch. Never leave your catch at the bottom.
Build an image, a silhouette, a pattern in your brain, so you can spot them. They blend very easy, the shape, the pattern, the typical way they move, any slight movement will help you spot them.

Another thing to keep present is that there are reefs where shark sightings are rare. I've cought lots of lionfish in Boca and Fort Lauderdale and never seen a reef shark or a bull shark. The dive operators know. Now, Palm Beach, Jupiter and Martin County have lots of sharks.

Lionfish that survived a previous attempt will take off as soon as they hear you, or feel that a diver is approaching. They will hide in a deep recess, or take off so fast that you won't be able to follow it.

If the current is strong, Lionfish hide. They don't like it. You will find them folded and resting encroached into a sponge, under a ledge or a coral head, downstream of the current.

It the current is mild, they will be floating a few inches above the bottom, or under ledges, staying stealth and ready to eat something. They are easier to catch in the morning, or before sundown.

Lionfish that are just hanging around can be cought if you have a calm, cool and collected strategy. Keep buoyancy and start taking one at a time, with minimal noise and minimal disturbance to the sea bottom. Start with the one closest to you, methodically take your time and then go for the next, but keep calm. It's critical to stay very calm and collected, otherwise, they will be spooked and flee. If you move too much, they will flee.

I try not to look at them directly in the eye, just kind of look a bit to the side... If you look at them in the eye, they will figure it out and will take off. Aim for the head. A head shot is best.
They will change color instantly, if it's a head killshot. The fillets keep nice and clear of trauma too.

Most of the time, you have a second chance for a shot, it the first failed, or if the lionfish pealed off the tip. If you need to try a third time, it's going to flee, and you will bag it if the first or second shot injured it to the point it's not able to respond.

I've been hunting and some photographers in the group have returned to the boat fascinated by the great shark photo opportunities they saw; however, we've been close, very close, but not seen a shark that same dive. Sometimes remoras will show, get close and start wanting to hang around us, so I look at my wife and she looks at me and I know we are both thinking.... hey remora, where did you leave your shark?

So, the takehome message is, go where people hunt, with operators that know. Don't feed the wildlife, go with a good buddy, keep calm, keep good buoyancy and practice, practice, practice.

Sorry for the long post, but just want to share some insights.

Cheers

If the reef is home to resident Reef Sharks, Nurse Sharks, Eels, and/or Goliath Groupers that have been fed, or that are commonly fed by divers, they will be all over the hunters in a flash. I've cough just one little lionfish, 2" long, and less than a minute later, its like someone rang the dinner bell.

Now, if the reef is one that is home to critters that are not being fed, you won't have a problem.

When lionfish hunting, it's good to:
Ask dive operator to take you where people hunt.
Do it as a team.
Recognize Lionfish habitat and preferred hanging spots.
Keep an eye on your buddy and on resident wildlife.
Stop if sharks get too inquisitive.
Have an inflatable smb on the Zookeeper tube, and use it if necessary, float your catch out of the way.
Stay calm, cool and collected. Most of the time, a shark or an eel is just curious and will look and move on. If they get too close, it's best to stop and find another spot or float your catch. Never leave your catch at the bottom.
Build an image, a silhouette, a pattern in your brain, so you can spot them. They blend very easy, the shape, the pattern, the typical way they move, any slight movement will help you spot them.

Another thing to keep present is that there are reefs where shark sightings are rare. I've cought lots of lionfish in Boca and Fort Lauderdale and never seen a reef shark or a bull shark. The dive operators know. Now, Palm Beach, Jupiter and Martin County have lots of sharks.

Lionfish that survived a previous attempt will take off as soon as they hear you, or feel that a diver is approaching. They will hide in a deep recess, or take off so fast that you won't be able to follow it.

If the current is strong, Lionfish hide. They don't like it. You will find them folded and resting encroached into a sponge, under a ledge or a coral head, downstream of the current.

It the current is mild, they will be floating a few inches above the bottom, or under ledges, staying stealth and ready to eat something. They are easier to catch in the morning, or before sundown.

Lionfish that are just hanging around can be cought if you have a calm, cool and collected strategy. Keep buoyancy and start taking one at a time, with minimal noise and minimal disturbance to the sea bottom. Start with the one closest to you, methodically take your time and then go for the next, but keep calm. It's critical to stay very calm and collected, otherwise, they will be spooked and flee. If you move too much, they will flee.

I try not to look at them directly in the eye, just kind of look a bit to the side... If you look at them in the eye, they will figure it out and will take off. Aim for the head. A head shot is best.
They will change color instantly, if it's a head killshot. The fillets keep nice and clear of trauma too.

Most of the time, you have a second chance for a shot, it the first failed, or if the lionfish pealed off the tip. If you need to try a third time, it's going to flee, and you will bag it if the first or second shot injured it to the point it's not able to respond.

I've been hunting and some photographers in the group have returned to the boat fascinated by the great shark photo opportunities they saw; however, we've been close, very close, but not seen a shark that same dive. Sometimes remoras will show, get close and start wanting to hang around us, so I look at my wife and she looks at me and I know we are both thinking.... hey remora, where did you leave your shark?

So, the takehome message is, go where people hunt, with operators that know. Don't feed the wildlife, go with a good buddy, keep calm, keep good buoyancy and practice, practice, practice.

Sorry for the long post, but just want to share some insights.

Cheers

These are the nuances I was talking about. Great read. I take it you have seen the youtube video of the guy in Grand Cayman that didn't follow most of these "rules"? According to a DM in Grand Cayman, it got the diver kicked out of the country.

We run regular lionfish trips thru Stuart Scuba on Florida's Treasure Coast. No better place to learn about this invasive species! Our guides will be happy to help you and we'll be running a Lionfish specialty class in partnership with our friends at Zookeeper. Our hunters will bring back 70+ pounds of lionfish on our trips. we go to "sites less traveled" and full of the little bastards!

give us a call at 772-600-8288. we have some arrangements with local hotels as well.

You're correct. The $40 pole goes to about $55 to adjust for lionfish. I doubt I will get into other spear fishing, but I do like the having a second length. I will need to think about it. Thank you for pointing out yours is already set with the tip and short band.

I appreciate the recommendation for our pole spear. If you want a spear only for lionfish, the cost is under $28 - COMPLETE. This includes the (short) pole spear, the band and the non-barbed tip.

Lion Fish Killer Pole Spear | MAKO Spearguns

MLFK-2T.jpg

If you want a pole spear that can take other larger (more wary) fish, then you can upgrade to add sections, replace the non-barbed tip with a barbed one and of course you will need a longer band as well.

The 3-1 Traveler pole spear is a longer version of the lionfish killer. It has 2 or 3 sections (depending on how you choose to assemble it). We have an even wider selection of tips for the traveler spear, if you are targeting larger fish than are normally targeted with the multi-prong tip.

3 in 1 Traveler Pole Spear | MAKO Spearguns

MTPS-2T.jpg

Sorry if all the options get to be confusing, but if you are going to target lionfish, the MAKO Lionfish Killer (for $27.95) is all you need to capture the fish. They are GREAT Eating by the way!

We run regular lionfish trips thru Stuart Scuba on Florida's Treasure Coast. No better place to learn about this invasive species! Our guides will be happy to help you and we'll be running a Lionfish specialty class in partnership with our friends at Zookeeper. Our hunters will bring back 70+ pounds of lionfish on our trips. we go to "sites less traveled" and full of the little bastards!

give us a call at 772-600-8288. we have some arrangements with local hotels as well.

Do you know of local restaurants that will prepare the catch?

Snoweman,
That gets to be a bit tricky. Technically, the restaurant would need to see that you possess a Saltwater Products License (Florida SPL) in order to accept the fish, and fix it for you.

There are several restaurant in Florida that serve Lionfish. Restaurants Serving Lionfish | Reef Environmental Education Foundation (REEF)

BTW, here is a video put together by PBS. My wife contributed with some of the underwater footage used to produce it.
Chef Andres Avayu, Piccolo Restaurant in Fort Lauderdale knows how to fix Lionfish and is considered an authority when it come to creative ideas elevating Lionfish and promoting consumption.

I like it Sashimi. All you need is a very sharp knife, a bit of soy sauce, some wasabi or sryracha and have at it. Keep the fish on ice, get back to the dock, find a cleaning table, fillet them and bag them, them back on ice. They keep well...ziplock bags work great. Don't let the fillets sit in water, it will ruin them, keep them dry and cold.

As with everything, practice, practice, practice. Here is a link on how to fillet them.
Here is one more, Alex Fogg is demostrating his technique:
By the way, you may want to watch a few of Alex's videos. He is an authority when it comes to Lionfish removal in Florida.

Enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom