Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are shooting big lionfish... You'll need a barbed tip and a good spear ... And a tap on the nose will send most guys running...
lionfish moray eel.jpg

@oldschoolto Nice photo, but that's a mighty strange looking lion fish :)
He was trying to get in the zoo keeper....

Jim...

:rofl3: I'm picturing a BFE (big eel) with his head stuck in the keeper... and how you would go about dealing with it.
-Don

:rofl3: I'm picturing a BFE (big eel) with his head stuck in the keeper... and how you would go about dealing with it.
-Don
I know how I would deal with it.
The BFE just got himself a keeper.

I know how I would deal with it.
The BFE just got himself a keeper.

I'm picturing the BFE getting dizzy, as you try to twist the lid off. :rofl3:

Yeah..., I didn't think it was a steep learning curve, but I am sure there are a few nuances. I'm more looking for who has spears and zoo keepers (or homemade equivalent) for the divers. I really don't want to add a zoo keeper to my travel baggage.

I posted a homemade equivalent in the DIY section last year. It was about half the cost of a zookeeper if I remember correctly, and easy to make. I recommend a 6ft, 3-piece spear. Mine is from Mako, but there are inexpensive ones on Piranha Dive Mfg too that work just great. They are aluminum. If you have a dremmel you can resharpen your spear barbs too. I'd also recommend a little lock tite (the less strong one...red?) for attached the spear tip to the pole.

Last edited:
You can go with the 3 in 1 if you plan to do more than lionfish, but if your main goal is lionfish, I would stick with the one I linked you to. With the 3 in 1 you would at the very least have to buy another "lionfish" band and they recommend their "lionfish" tip too. As cheap as they are, I would go with the dedicated lionfish package and get something larger on down the road..

I have speared tons of lionfish on a standard 6ft spear with a regular band. I DO NOT recommend any modification to hunt lionfish. If you miss, they often move away into a crevice, and having the extra reach of a real spear is needed.

This will kill all the lionfish you can find, and it's easy to get them off. You shove them into the keeper, pull out, and done.

3 Piece Pole Spear ****Special Pricing****

I do recommend some thicker or puncture proof gloves, particularly if you're going to do a lot of lionfish hunting. I recommend the orange Hex Amor ones.

They are great eating so nothing wrong with that. And eating the FL ones is safe.

Last edited:
I still find it amazing that FL dive shops don't advertise lionfish dives. I don't even find anything on the Narcosis website. Seriously, I would think I'm not the only person interested in it (and doesn't dive every week/day/etc).

Ricardo - I take it you're talking about the barbed tips being bad for lionfishing, I get it. If you can't get them off the spear, then that's a short dive where you have to pay attention to the end of the spear.

Here you go. I've done a bit of spear fishing with them and lionfish is also a target species. No need to specifically identify it on a spearfishing charter.

Niuhi Dive Charters - Pensacola Charter Rates & Booking Calendar

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom