Lionfish In The Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for coming into our section of the board, Dr. Rocha. I don't think we have a single genetics-type person around. Good lord, I've never seen so many publications come from a single person in so short a time. The Smithsonian must love you.

Rocha:
Now, when we have so much evidence that this was a human-mediated invasion, I am all in favor of the kill'em all philosophy. This would be different if instead of lionfish, the presumed invasive was some goby that was not in the aquarium trade and couldn't survive in a ship's ballast water. Why? Because if it's got there naturally it has what it takes to get there, sooner or later.

The main problem with determining whether or no a species is natural or unnatural to an area is time. Scientific consensus usually takes years. Significant ecological entrenchment of an invader species may take place in less than a decade. By the time action on a high-priority species is mandated, it is frequently too late to preserve the original community structure. I do not see this much in the Caribbean, but it is commonplace throughout the coastal and inland regions of the U.S..

The majority of management strategies for marine waters take little to no steps towards active removal of exotic species. They do, however, earmark funds to study, and study, and study... In the meantime, an aggressive species can do great harm. As it is often quite easy to identify an exotic (though not the transmission vector), delays in removing them frustrates conservation scientists and community ecologists. What often occurs in U.S. biological agencies is that restoration funding is withheld due to extreme cost and effort required. The irony is that such costs could have been greatly reduced if we'd been permitted to take action earlier. The end result is that we end up doing nothing. Oh, it breaks the heart!

From our standpoint, community ecologists are far less concerned with possible benefits of a natural exotic than were are with possible damages caused by any intruder species, natural or unnaturally-derived. The damages are tangible and real. In the case of the lionfish off the U.S. east coast, reports are coming in of the community structure of the native benthic fish populations being altered. That same fate may be in store for the Bahamas. We have the opportunity to possibly slow this down, by having divers kill the things asap, rather than take pictures and report 'em to ScubaBoard. All that does is piss me off, and talk about fish farming with Hank.

Kill the lionfish!

Thanks for the welcome Archman! My publications are not that much, the secret is that we don't have to teach here! :)

Yes, I agree with all of the above, just one thing to add: Kill the lionfish, the angelfish, the batfish! There are many more Pacific invaders in Florida that came in with the aquarium trade!

Hank, where in Belize are you at? I've just been in Dangriga a month ago.

Luiz

One word . . . .

KUDZU !!!!

jpsexton:
Yep, there is one that hangs out in the Bond Wreck in Nassau. The DM on our boat said he thought it came from the Paradise Island Aquarium. Where in the Exumas? Could it have been close enough to be the same one?

John
When I did a liveaboard in the Exumas last Feb (the Cat Ppalu), the DM told us that there was an investigation going on at Atlantis, due to Lionfish and other non-native species being spotted in the area. They were concentrating their investigation on their water filtration, thinking when the fish spawned, it was possible their spawn could be dumping into the sea as they changed the water in the aquariums.
C-Dawg

Rocha:
Hank, where in Belize are you at? I've just been in Dangriga a month ago.

Luiz

Just south of there. I live back up a creek that drains into the Placencia Lagoon. If you went to Placencia by road you passed our farm about 3 miles off the Southern Highway.
This has been one of the best threads yet. I've been thinking about this all weekend...while I was snorkeling and diving. Then I picked up the March issue of National Geographic and it had a good article on invasives. It is rather easy to say, "well, it's been going on since the first circum global navigators brought "gifts" to each other's leaders in the form of plants, and there isn't much that can be done". In some cases that may be true. And with ships moving so many organisms hanging on their hulls....it goes on and on. I will kill any lionfish I see for sure here.
But I was also thinking, when a new invasive comes in and dominates, in many cases eventually it may use up a critical nutrient, or food source there that helped it thrive in the first place and other secondary organisms will come in and "fill gaps" by feeding off the organism or using it as habitat...nature seems to always achieve some type of balance. However, it may take a loooong time relative to our short life spans. This is a very complicated and extremely intersting subject.
And Archman, aquaculture may be complicated, but when I look around wild nature, I'm stunned at the complexity...the balance. "All "I have to do is determine the required nutrients and water quality parameters that the organism needs in nature, and duplicate it. It's the unknowns that jump into the system (invasives if you will) that complicate it. These may thrive due to deteriorated bottom conditions giving way to fouling bacteria.... or a new virus....and this is just a pond with shrimp. I have it easy compared to you amigo. Hank

There are groups who are dedicated to exterminating invasive fish. The Native Fish Conservancy is one, though they mainly deal with freshwater fish.

One of the things they do is catch cichlids and exotics in Florida's waterways. The large cichlids they destroy (by either throwing them on the bank or cutting their heads off), the smaller ones they sell on the internet. They also have carp fishing tournaments, where I believe the carp are ground into fertilizer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom