Lionfish injury in Florida 2016

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Its pretty safe to spear them. They are not very reactive unless you miss them. If you miss they bolt 12in further. If you get stung its very painful.

Wow... Is that size of school at all typical in that area? I am used to see individuals or very small schools of maybe 5 or 6 fish, but there must be 75 fish in that video. Do you sell the fish, or are you just there cleaning up the mess?

Its pretty safe to spear them. They are not very reactive unless you miss them. If you miss they bolt 12in further. If you get stung its very painful.
According to someone I knew it is more than very painful. He had managed to bump into one at night in Philippines. And his hand was badly swollen and the severe pain lasted for many days.
So careful.

And why are they all gathered like that? I have only seen them single.

I have been shooting Lionfish on a weekly basis for years now, as have many of my diver friends. After harvesting thousands of these fish every week for many years, I have been stung only once, so I am inclined to think that the method we currently use works pretty well. However in the grand scheme of things, it is highly inefficient, and not a "solution" but rather an act of reef maintenance. I think anyone that can innovate this process, and find a better way would be doing our planet a huge service. It is no fun to be stung, and it is painful to see a reef decimated by these fish. Want a good laugh? Here is a video of me being treated for my first sting.
I have seen multiple divers stung, for many different reasons. Planned harvesting with a pole spear and a Zookeeper is not usually how it happens. Most people I see that are stung are the occasional hunter that decided to shoot a Lionfish with their speargun, loop it with their lobster snare, bludgeon it with a pocket knife or any other unorthodox dispatching method you can think of, with little or no thought as to what they are going to do with the fish once captured. Also, bad strategies, like giving the fish a haircut under water. In my case, I became excited and rushed in a large group of Lionfish, failing to fully insert the fish into my Zookeeper, and then jamming my elbow into the funnel of the Zookeeper. Took 3 spines on the funny bone nerve area, and trust me, there is nothing funny about it. It still hurts when touched the wrong way months later. Needless to say, if you are stung, hot water as hot as you can stand it is the cure.

In my experience, it is very rare that a Lionfish sting would create a cause for medical treatment, however, it is always wise to err on the side of caution when dealing with unknown or unfamiliar injuries. For the vast majority of people, a Lionfish sting itself is typically nothing more than painful and annoying. The same could be said about wasp stings. However, people react differently to things, and this and may very well have had a reaction to the venom, or had some other medical issue happening at the same time, that we don't know about. Although Lionfish are not known to introduce anaphylactic shock like a wasp might, there could be other complications that it caused with this individual that we are unaware of. With so few details in the article, I would not want to speculate too much, other than to say it is highly unusual to be taken to the hospital for a Lionfish sting. It was mentioned that his chest was tingling. I think if I came up from a dive with a pronounced tingling chest I would seriously consider seeking medical treatment, Lionfish sting or not.

Harvesting Lionfish is easy, and the tools are simple. A 3-foot pole spear with a trident tip, (your length may vary) a Zookeeper, and a big dose of caution is pretty much what it takes. Shooting Lionfish requires very little skill, as they usually do not move very quickly. I believe the skill is in developing a shooting and bagging technique that results in minimal interaction with the fish, a quick death, and quick containment. Over time you learn how to make the stone shot nearly every time (fish turns white) and the proper angle to spear the fish, so it fits into the Zookeeper easily.

I'm really glad to see many others becoming interested in helping to remove Lionfish from our reefs. There are lots of them, and not so many of us. The more fish we remove, the more baby reef fish have a chance to survive, and studies have proven that reefs which have regularly had Lionfish removed from them have much higher fish counts, than those that did not.

I am not related to the video i posted. I just find incredibly satisfying to watch that guy cleaning up the reefs!

His channel has several cleanup video like this! Very impressive!

Personally I wouldn't waste my money, you're more likely to get injured every time you get in a car.

Exactly. If you drop down on a reef and find some sharks milling around, it would probably be prudent not to spearfish. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it. I had a buddy who was a big spear fisherman, in several thousand dives, I think he only ever had one shark show up and harass him.

Read this Teen Surfer Bitten by Shark While Wearing Device Designed to Reduce Risk of Attack - Inside Edition

Personally I wouldn't waste my money, you're more likely to get injured every time you get in a car.

You are more likely to end up zapping yourself or your buddy by forgetting to turn off the shark shield before you get out of the water. In all the Lionfish hunting I have done, I have yet to have a shark show any interest at all in my Lionfish. I would keep your eyes peeled for eels, and triggerfish. They are the real predators! I have seen divers attacked by both!

I've observed and filmed lionfish hunters in the past and they used pole spears and the zookeeper as Johnoly suggested. Also have eaten a few down in Aruba. Tasty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom