Lionfish predators in the Caribbean

Have you ever seen a grouper/snapper/shark/eel take a lionfish that had not been speared?

• Yes I have

Votes: 6 12.2%
  • No, never

Votes: 43 87.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure if the grouper got the LF but there was a big sand cloud and then no LF so I’m hopeful.

Happened in Ft Lauderdale Florida.

I was picking some lobster off a coral head (small undercut to hide in but not disappear) and there was a LF (small one 4” maybe) on the side of the coral head I kept an eye on. After I grabbed the first lobster a nice red grouper came by and looked at the other lobster but kept swimming. Then I seen the grouper turn toward the LF and charge and it ended with a decent sand cloud. LF was on the sand about a foot from the coral. After the cloud settled I couldn’t see the LF anywhere. Now the grouper might not have been successful but I couldn’t tell and at least he tried if anything.

LF are here to stay just like the snakeheads in South Florida canals but I believe they will be kept in check by people mostly.

lion fish suck

I've seen sharks eat lionfish off the end of a spear a few times.

Sharks, grouper, snapper, jacks, eels.
You've named pretty much all available predators of the appropriate size, except barracuda. If this is so, it seems that the Lionfish's spines are not so effective in defencing them, after all. This makes me wonder, why would a species develop such an elaborate defence mechanism in the form of long venomous spines, sacrificing mobility, if everyone is still eating them?

You've named pretty much all available predators of the appropriate size, except barracuda. If this is so, it seems that the Lionfish's spines are not so effective in defencing them, after all. This makes me wonder, why would a species develop such an elaborate defence mechanism in the form of long venomous spines, sacrificing mobility, if everyone is still eating them?
The barracuda I've seen in the Pacific generally school together. I'm not 100%, but I imagine they resemble more predatory characteristics of pelagic sport fish, attacking bait balls, rather than our typical Caribbean reef barracuda.

I saw a green moray eat a large injured LF in Roatan. If a Moray ever comes after me, I'll just turn off my own air and hope he waits a couple of minutes before eating me. One chomp and there were fish parts everywhere. Despite looking like they are waiting for you to get a corny joke they just told, there's a lot of bite in those jaws.

Safe travels y'all,
Jay

I saw a green moray eat a large injured LF in Roatan. If a Moray ever comes after me, I'll just turn off my own air and hope he waits a couple of minutes before eating me. One chomp and there were fish parts everywhere. Despite looking like they are waiting for you to get a corny joke they just told, there's a lot of bite in those jaws.

Safe travels y'all,
Jay
I had a barracuda take one about 2' in front of me. Just an explosion.

Careful feeding LF on a spear to other fish. There is a dive guide on Turneffe in Belize who held out a LF on a spear to a barracuda. For some reason the barracuda went for his hand, causing some damage.

I've seen large Queen Trigger taking a Lionfish from a spear. I'd say, large TF such as the Queen and Oceanic are perfectly equipped to hunt LF.

Back
Top Bottom