Lionfish ????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spstar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just got back from a week on the Aqua Cat and check out this Lionfish that we saw at The Blue Hole

mixdiver:
Nice pic. How big was he?
8-10" long. The neat part is that this is not a local fish for The Exumas in the Bahamas
It was a real treat to see and get a nice shot of it

Bit strange sometimes to read about fish that one doesn't even look at/for anymore (too common) are rare in other parts - Guess it's one of the pleasures of traveling around the world for diving...
Most of the time we see between 30-40 lionfish (various kinds) on a single dive....

spstar:
8-10" long. The neat part is that this is not a local fish for The Exumas in the Bahamas
It was a real treat to see and get a nice shot of it
The lionfish you saw and photographed would be a treat to a diver, yes, but it's an Exotic Threat to the eco-system.

They are popular aquarium pets, hardy, fun to feed (live fish, but can be taught to take dry pellets from the owner's hand), and grow quickly. When they get too big for the tank, what do you do with one? Some people "set them free" in local water. With no natural controls, they can become a real problem for the native life.

Some programs exist to capture such exotics, but they'll probably grow to be a major problem, like Kudzu, English sparrows, etc in the US.

DandyDon:
The lionfish you saw and photographed would be a treat to a diver, yes, but it's an Exotic Threat to the eco-system.

They are popular aquarium pets, hardy, fun to feed (live fish, but can be taught to take dry pellets from the owner's hand), and grow quickly. When they get too big for the tank, what do you do with one? Some people "set them free" in local water. With no natural controls, they can become a real problem for the native life.

Some programs exist to capture such exotics, but they'll probably grow to be a major problem, like Kudzu, English sparrows, etc in the US.

Don, I would think more like maybe some waste water from the aquarium at THE ATLANTIS in Nassau with all the fish coming and going from an aquarium of this size the transporting water must be very great possible fertile egg being released seems more in line. just a my thought.

spstar:
Don, I would think more like maybe some waste water from the aquarium at THE ATLANTIS in Nassau with all the fish coming and going from an aquarium of this size the transporting water must be very great possible fertile egg being released seems more in line. just a my thought.
That's certainly possible. I've been out of that hobby a long time, so I don't know if there have been any successes with breedng of th the pteros volitans in captivity...? http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/Gallery/Descript/RedLionfish/RLionfish.html

Are you doing a trip report on the Aqua Cat?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom