Lira or US dollars in Utila?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shocktrtmnt

Reaction score
Should I just take U.S. Dollars to Utila in small bills or do I exchange it for Lira at the bank? HElp? Travel agent told me to carry smalll US dollars as I will get change in Lira. I want to take $1000 cash, that's a lot of small bills.

HElp me spend wisely!

Bring $100.00usd.and cash them in at hendersons.
You can do a cash advance at the movie theater but they charge @20% yes ,plus your bank may add for cash advance.

Have fun

Al

shocktrtmnt once bubbled...
Should I just take U.S. Dollars to Utila in small bills or do I exchange it for Lira at the bank? HElp? Travel agent told me to carry smalll US dollars as I will get change in Lira. I want to take $1000 cash, that's a lot of small bills.

HElp me spend wisely!
I have a rule of thumb for traveling to most foreign countries. I, like you, take about 600-1000 per week cash. I also usually convert US$200-US$400 to the local currency regardless of the exchange rate. Often as not the delta on a couple hundred adds up to no more than US$10 at worst (2-5% hit), but saves any headaches with 'local' conversion rates and mixing US and foreign currency on the same transaction.

All that said, spending US$1000 on Utila is gonna be a heck of a shopping spree, as there aren't too many places to spend it.

Mike

PS.
Honduran currency is 'Lempira'

I knew it began with an L, oops. We are taking into consideration airport taxes, lunches which are not included with our package, reef fees, tips (airport, taxis), and souveniers. I hope we would not spend it all, but it adds up, and my hubby is the spender in the family, can you believe that? I have to keep my eye on him.
Thanks for the info Mike,
April

I ususally take some cash and change enough money with the guys at the airport to get me to Utila.

I use credit card to pay for diving (the bigest single expense) and then change travellers checks (for my cash spending needs) at the bank which is just across the street and to the right of the main boat dock.

You want to avoid haveing to take a cash advance from a credit card as they (the bank, vidoe store, dive shop, etc.) tack on a hefty surcharge.

I appreciate the input. I was told by my travel agent there is also a charge for exchanging travelers checks, so I don't know what to do. I wil follow all of the advise I have gotten from this thread,though.
Thanks, any more input would be helpful.
APril

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom