List of basic gear for a diving noob

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tomboone

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

My name is Tom and I'm planning on doing my PADI open water training locally this month and then do my cert dives in the Carribbean later in August. The shop I'm getting trained at requires regulator mouthpieces, fins, a snorkel, mask, boots, and here's what I'm thinking of getting from divers-supply.com:
IST Talaria split fins ($90)
Edge 6mm zippered boots ($20)
2 random, cheap mouthpieces ($10-15 total)
Anti fog spray ($5)

Those things I'm pretty sure of, and as far as a snorkel, I'm thinking:
Sea Elite dry snorkel ($17)
In order to get free shipping, I might get a diving knife ($12).

I'm going to get the mask at the local shop to ensure good fit, but does this list seem reasonable? I think my biggest question/concern is about the snorkel. There are so many choices, so is this one decent? If not, what would be recommended for around$20-30? Thanks so much, and I look forward to contributing to the community once I get started. Thanks,

Tom

I'd stay away from anything too fancy. A $20 snorkel will be just fine, no need for a dry snorkel with a GPS and ipod adapter. The more "gadgets" on the equipment the more to worry about, I'd recommend a standard cheap "J" style snorkel. Spit works good as an anti-fog solution if you want to save $5. When you get your mask use a little bit of a gel toothpaste to clean off the lenses inside before using any anti-fog. Have you checked Scuba Toys website?

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

edited to remove content as referenced in my later post
If the class is connected with a dive shop ask if they will give you a discount since you're taking a class through them. Good luck and have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
For many divers a snorkel is something that IF they take it on a dive is in a pocket. Since a snorkel creates 18 inches of dead air space I don't like to use it on the swim out. In addition many divers swim out on their backs anyway. A snorkel also increases drag, will cause a mask leak in current and catch on stuff when you are trying to get into a hole for a lobster or to see something. So for me the only time I wear a snorkel is if a local law requires it, otherwise it never leaves the dive bag. Some will say that if you have big waves you should have a snorkel, me, I just take a breath after the wave passes, never been a problem. I recently saw one that rolled up, cheap and small and fit nicely in a pocket. But as others have said, the snorkle is one place you can save money.

Hey everyone,

My name is Tom and I'm planning on doing my PADI open water training locally this month and then do my cert dives in the Carribbean later in August. The shop I'm getting trained at requires regulator mouthpieces, fins, a snorkel, mask, boots, and here's what I'm thinking of getting from divers-supply.com:
Anti fog spray ($5)

I'm going to get the mask at the local shop to ensure good fit, but does this list seem reasonable? I think my biggest question/concern is about the snorkel. There are so many choices, so is this one decent? If not, what would be recommended for around$20-30? Thanks so much, and I look forward to contributing to the community once I get started. Thanks,

Tom

I'd probably get the MARES PLANA AVANTI X3 FIN instead of the split fins. They are cheaper ($49.90) and IMHO, probably better. I'd ditch the anti-fog spray as well. The mask should be bought locally. You also want to think about a gear bag (I've found a mesh catch bag works well)

Hey everyone,

Anti fog spray ($5)

Tom

If at all possible get a wetsuit, even a shortie. You'll be thankful you did.

Some divers swear by split fins, and others don't like them. Fins are one of the places where the price difference between simple and complicated is really HUGE. I'd recommend buying simple, inexpensive fins to begin with, and do some diving, and if you decide this is a sport you want to stay with, then buy what you want. Scuba gear doesn't hold its value very well, once used; I sold my split fins for less than half what I paid for them.

If I tried on a mask in a dive shop and liked it Id buy it from them.Johnsons baby shampoo makes excellent defog.Get a cheapo snorkel ,I havent used mine in years.Buy your own wetsuit,rentals get peed in.Get a good wrist computer,fins and bootys you like.[I hate slit fins].,Rent b.c,tank and regs till you can get your own.

But why is the LDS asking you to have new regulator mouthpieces? I hope they will learn you to share air, and this means you will put at least your buddy's mouthpiece into your mouth anyway.

As far as $5 anti-fog I use only johnson's baby shampoo, Also clean your new mask with toothpaste prior to use.

Your LDS may match or beat those prices....if you are taking your cert classes through them, they likely offer a discount. My LDS will also match online prices, assuming they are an authorized dealer of the brand I'm wanting, to ensure that I continue to support and buy from them.

One quick warning about doing your check out dives somewhere other than where you are doing the coursework and confined dives: make sure that the instructor leading the check out dives is still an active PADI instructor. My hubby and I got completely screwed, so I'm trying to let new divers who are planning to go this route know, so they don't run into the same issue we did! Don't feel bad about asking for their PADI number, or even their name, as you can just look all that information up on PADI's website.

Good luck and have fun! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom