List of basic gear for a diving noob

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He was a great instructor. He very well may have meant using the gel after scrubbing the agent off. Or maybe he owns a large stock in gel toothpaste.

See, I'm frugal and lazy... I prefer to use things that work and are cheap. if it does not work I don't care how much you saved, but if it does work, the question in my mind is was it worth the money. I know paste works for the prep, and I still use paste, ( the same tube mind you,) on my masks for occasional preventive cleaning.

so I have a buck or two in the travel toothpaste and another buck or two in J&J shampoo. still less than the bottle of sea gold I have some where.

Better yet... I got the sea gold bottle free... which do you think I think works better.

And yes I do like sea gold. just like my way alittle better.

Costco - TUSA Scuba Set $74.99

Costco - TUSA 5mm Dive Boot $22.99

Hey, Tom. One of my friends bought gear for his class and found out he could not clear his ears. He spent a lot of money for stuff he can't use. A young guy without a lot of money, anyway.

Here is good solid gear, and if you don't like it, just send it back. You'll have plenty of opportunity to funnel your money to your local dive merchant if you start diving regularly. In the meantime, consider this. ( I used those fins 113 feet down on Saturday).

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

I've deleted 14 posts concerned with buying from the LDS vs. online - and edited the first post to remove the original reference that prompted them.

Although this has been debated endlessly here, I did save them and will create a new thread in a more appropriate forum if so requested.

The OP had specific questions about the gear he was considering.

Please try to stay on topic.

Thank you,

Thanks Steve,

Well an update here:
I ended up going online and hoping for the best with sizing. I got a semi-dry snorkel, Mares X vision mask, prescription lenses for them, Sea Elite 2/3mm shorty suit, 2 reg mouthpieces (required by LDS for class), and Oceanic V16s all for ~$310.

I think it was a pretty decent deal, and hopefully it'll all work out for me. I tried on the suit, and boy, is it tight. I'm 6'1"-6'2", 190 lbs, and fairly fit. I got an XL, and it feels miserably tight, especially around my crotch. Not trying to be explicit or sounding cocky (not my intent at all), but if it's supposed to be this tight, I don't know if I'm in the right sport unless I can always do diving places where a suit isn't needed. The rest of the body is tight, but in the crotch there is even less room than in my compression shorts for running. I'm scared if I get a size bigger, the rest of the body will be too big (prob not, but I can't imagine fitting in a XXL as my normal shirt size is a M or L, never an XL even). Does it sound like this is too small or is it supposed to be miserable?

Had the same problem. It will get worse when you have to sit for a while on the dive boat. Sizes don't transfer between sports and countries very well. I sent one back and got a bigger suit. Should be no problem if you dont "use" it.

Know anyone who dives who can look at the suit on you? Wetsuits are supposed to fit closely, but you shouldn't be miserable. Especially a 2/3 shorty, which I'd expect to be more stretchy and comfortable than a thick full suit. Hard to say on the internet if the suit is too tight, or you're just not used to the feeling. Different suits are cut differently too, one brand's XL may fit you differently than another.

While buying stuff over the net saves you money, this is exactly why a suit is good to buy from a shop especially when you're new - you can try them on and have someone who knows what they're talking about direct you.

Personally, if you're getting a suit for Carribean diving I would recommend a fullsuit, for protection from stings and stuff. Some people dive in the Carribean in a swimsuit and maybe a t-shirt, some are cold unless they wear 5mm. I wear a lycra or 1mm diveskin, which is fine for me and very comfortable. You have no idea at this point what you will need.

Thanks Steve,

Well an update here:
I ended up going online and hoping for the best with sizing. I got a semi-dry snorkel, Mares X vision mask, prescription lenses for them, Sea Elite 2/3mm shorty suit, 2 reg mouthpieces (required by LDS for class), and Oceanic V16s all for ~$310.

I think it was a pretty decent deal, and hopefully it'll all work out for me. I tried on the suit, and boy, is it tight. I'm 6'1"-6'2", 190 lbs, and fairly fit. I got an XL, and it feels miserably tight, especially around my crotch. Not trying to be explicit or sounding cocky (not my intent at all), but if it's supposed to be this tight, I don't know if I'm in the right sport unless I can always do diving places where a suit isn't needed. The rest of the body is tight, but in the crotch there is even less room than in my compression shorts for running. I'm scared if I get a size bigger, the rest of the body will be too big (prob not, but I can't imagine fitting in a XXL as my normal shirt size is a M or L, never an XL even). Does it sound like this is too small or is it supposed to be miserable?

Wet suits ar 90% fit. Does not sound right to me. Did you try it on before you bought it?
edit: sorry. I did not see you purchased on line.

Get with somebody experienced and let them tell you if it is normal. I don't think so. Too tight suit can affect your respiration and can cause other problems if you are sitting on a boat waiting for them to set up.

Wetsuit sizing is inconsistant from manufacturer to manufacturer. I own wetsuits from 4 different manufacturers and there is no rhyme or reason for the sizing. You have to try them on. Spend the extra 20 or 50 bucks.

Edit again. What damsel fish said. Full suit! I Have a .5 mil, 1 mil and 3/2. All full.

Buy simply fins, mask, snorkel, a wetsuit (if needed), and you can usually rent BC's, regs, octos, and gauges for a preetty good deal.

At the shop where I was certified, all we needed was a mask, fins, and snorkel and they provided the rest. (I would suggest a wetsuit because you know, all natr-ual happens-)

I recently got my OW cert as well and went through some of the same questions. First, the wet suit. Sounds like a size too small. i am 5'9" 180 and they tried to squeeze me into a M NEO 5mm. Wow was that tight. Very constricting and tight on my biceps and neck. I didn't like the feeling. I went with a large and it was a lot better. Not as constricting, but not too loose either. There was some small gaps in the small of my back, but when I was in 55degree quarry water, I was cold all over so it didn't matter. I would be safe and go a size up. Don't worry about the XXL thing, everyone has their own sizing differences. Make sure it is comfy or you will be miserable under water. Good luck. Hope yo enjoy it. I hated it the first day and loved it the more and more I got into the water.

I must admit that I love anti-fog, particularly the Sea Gold spray. I just don't like spitting that much (am very girly). My husband doesn't mind spitting into his mask, but still believes that the anti-fog works better. Our spit must not have those anti-fog ingredients.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom