List of museums of diving history?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leon Lyons maritime museum, st Augustine Florida,(private) amazing collection of air hats and other historical diving equipment.

Santa Barbara Maritime Museum sbmm.org has an excellent exhibit on commercial diving

@Subcooled

A very ambitious long over due project - all the way from Finland ! Your current and future efforts are certainly appreciated.
Keep up the good and great work.

I have been a diving bibliophile since about 1950 and have a very extensive historical dive related library which may or may not need a home some time in the future. I am currently exploring four options - leave to my son who is a NAUI Life & PADI Instructor, SSI Pro 5000 and a active hyperbaric doctor - or sell - or donate-- but with a large fire being a distant .forth....

Any suggestions ?

Sam Miller, 111

I suggest you contact the Historical Diving Society of USA
According to Google, there are some diving museums in California, but I am not familiar with those.

There are diving history museums in Florida, too... but those are a far away from you :/

You've imported the wonderful Musée Frédéric-Dumas website to your own country, Subcooled.:) Repatriate it to France: the URL is http://museedumas.FR.

You've also omitted your country's own online diving museum at www.sukellusmuseo.fi. Its web page at www.sukellusmuseo.fi has an excellent collection of vintage catalogues.

This said, what a fantastic idea for a thread. Thank you. I hope diving history online museums and collections are equally welcome here, not just physical ones.

I cannot edit my post anymore.

I will maintain a list, at least for now, at Ulkomaiset museot – Suomen Sukellushistoriallinen yhdistys

That site is in Finnish (because of the target audience), but it's self explanatory.

I can paste a new and improved list here as we get more links to include. Online museums are very welcome here, but let's group them together in a list of their own. That would make it easier to find places to visit.

Sam Miller III said:
@Subcooled

A very ambitious long over due project - all the way from Finland ! Your current and future efforts are certainly appreciated.
Keep up the good and great work.

Sam Miller, 111
stated;
I have been a diving bibliophile since about 1950 and have a very extensive historical dive related library which may or may not need a home some time in the future. I am currently exploring four options - leave to my son who is a NAUI Life & PADI Instructor, SSI Pro 5000 and a active hyperbaric doctor - or sell - or donate-- but with a large fire being a distant .forth....

Any suggestions ?

Sam Miller, 111
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
@Subcooled
responded

"I suggest you contact the Historical Diving Society of USA
According to Google, there are some diving museums in California, but I am not familiar with those.

There are diving history museums in Florida, too... but those are a far away from you :/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FYI
Prior to the establishment of HDS UK Dick Bonin, President of SCUBA Pro. Harry Recigno, President of Inflatable systems and I met to explore the establishment of a HDS in the US- In California - where it all began in the US. We were all to involved with our respective professions to provide the energy and guidance such and undertaking deserved,

Then along came a displaced Englishman who established the HDS USA along the lines of HDS UK previously established by Mr. Nick Baker- the forefather of all HDS programs

I was one of the "founders" of HDS USA
I was on the founding Board of Directors of HDS USA
I was the first and only Director of Sport diving " of HDS USA
I presented the first Diving Bibliophile meet 25 years ago under the auspices of HDS USA

HDS USA does not have a museum or so far as can be determined a repository of HDS USA significant items

Most recently I offered several items of historical significance to the new HDS USA president but did not receive an answer

The library will remain with in my family and be passed on to my son who is well qualified and will certainly be appreciative of the library and was a participant in it's envelopment

Thank you for your concern and herculean task before you

SDM

Seven more physical diving museums in Europe for the list:
Austria: Tauchermuseum Hallstatt. Hallstatt Diving Museum, Pension Hallberg, Seestrasse 113, A-4830 Hallstatt, Austria.
Germany:
Tauchermuseum Flensburg, Start. Flensburg Diving Museum, Fahrensodde 20 (Dantronik-Gelände), 24944 Flensburg, Germany.
Sporttauchermuseum Berlin (-Köpenick/Wendenschloß), Tauchermuseum in Wendenschloß. Berlin-Wendenschloß Sports Diving Museum, Wendenschloßstraße 420, 12557 Berlin, Germany.
Hungary: Búvármúzeum, Búvármúzeum. The Hungarian Diving Museum exhibits are actually housed underwater, accessible from the diving centre at Lake Palatín in Esztergom.
Italy: Museo torinese delle attività subacquee, Museo torinese delle attività subacquee. Turin Underwater Museum, Via Chambéry, 91/12, 10142 Torino TO, Italy.
Netherlands:
Duikmuseum Lemmer, Duikmuseum Lemmer. Lemmer Diving Museum, Kadijk 15, 8531 XH Lemmer, Ind.terrein Lemsterhoek, Netherlands.
Duikersmuseum - Koppers Giethoorn, In den Coop'ren Duikhelm. Koppers Giethoorn Divers' Museum, Binnenpad 62 8355BV Giethoorn, Netherlands.

I found some more museums on a list maintained by the Norwegian Diving historical society here: Just click "Museer". It's maintained

There was one at Tutukaka in New Zealand, when I was there many years ago. They had had some relics from the salvage of the RMS Niagara in 1941. I have emailed one of the dive operators to see if they have any info

Cheers
No reply from the local dive operators, sorry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom