List the Dive Ops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nuts4corals

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am staying at Hotel Cozumel, guessing that's considered south of downtown area? The dive op on site is Dive Paradise - Scuba diving in Cozumel, Mexico since 1984 - Dive Paradise hoping I can get some first hand experience from people who dove with them in the past. Thier prices seem on par with others I see.

However, I will book with any other dive op that provides the following:
I prefer dive ops with bigger boats that do giant stride entries as that's what I am used to... however, I would probably be ok on a smaller boat with sit down back entry which I have done also but not as often.

1. which dive ops would pick you up from this hotel?
2. which dive ops have small boats?
3. which have larger?

Pick up is most important to me to save the hassle of taking a cab and i would not mind upto a 10 minute walk. but honestly a good dive op that has safety in mind and takes you to the best sites would be what I am looking for. One that will pair you up with similar skill level is also important. I own my gear and plan on booking a 6-7 day package so a dive op that will have gear ready would also be ideal. However, Please fill me in as I am unsure who would be required to rinse the gear in this case.

Lastly has anyone signed up with the dive op on site at the hotel? are they any good? it would make the best sense to dive with them but only if come recommended. Otherwise as i mentioned I would be willing to choose another and even walk a little if they don't drop you off at the dock.

Thanks in advance for all the assistance!!!

Last edited:
0. Good choice of hotel IMHO. I like the location (close enough to town but within easy walking distance even if you're lazy or tired). I've stayed there a half dozen times through the past 20 years, going again in February.
1. Any decent op should.
2. and 3. I think you should reconsider your preference for "large boats." Large boats = cattle. Would you really rather be in the water with 5 other divers or 45? Most folks here have a great preference for small boat operators, as do I.
You will get used to the back roll entry quickly - it's better than trying to stand up and shuffle around a slippery, rolling boat deck with a hundred pound of gear on. This will become a complete non-issue in about two minutes.

IME the in-house op there (which I used on a trip many years ago, and may have changed a lot since then) is not a disaster, but nothing special. Pick the op that fits your needs, not the one that happens to be there. It makes no sense to sign up with the in-house dive op at that hotel or any other, since any dive op will pick you up there.
Personally, I like "Living Underwater" but everyone here has their favorite. Read the endless threads on the dive ops and you will see, um, "trends".

Thanks for your input... I do like the hotel as well and feel I got a great deal on it. Yeah I am not hung up on large boats if that is the case. My expierience with large boat has always been small to medium groups. medium groups get dropped off with their perspective DM's. back roll entry is not critical. I will look into the dive op that you mentioned but I am confused as to the logistics of where your gear get stored and who sets up and cleans up your gear if you choose a dive op that picks you up? ect.

We had the two room suite there a few years ago...dove on site. Requested afternoon dives and was told no at first, then with persistence, we got Juan as a DM for the week and most all dives were me, the wife and daughter! Had a blast and really enjoyed Juan as he was born and raised on the island....he knew where to find little creatures.

We had the breakfast plan, hence afternoon dives:)....the food there, except for breakfast, was horrendous! The room, AC and balcony with hot tub priceless :wink:

I'll be there again this Feb too. I'm a regular at Hotel Coz & have dove with DP a few times. There is no shade on their small fast boats which is something I need. Several dive ops do pick up at the pier there but many do not. Aldora, Blue XT Sea, Living Underwater, Dive with Martin Blue Angel & maybe Aqua Safari plus a few other pick up at the dock & Tres Pelicanos picks you up / drops you off at the curb. Most of these ops will keep your gear, rinse & dry it & have it ready the next day however that may not apply to your wetsuit.
This is the link to my hotel tour album which will prepare you for your visit. https://flic.kr/s/aHskS8V7Ew

Edited to add re the above reply. The food has steadily improved over the years but as in all buffet situations it wont please everyone all of the time.

Let me second flyboy's post. While I like Hotel Coz - big, comfortable rooms, great pool area, decent service, good location - I would NOT do the AI option there. It has been 5 years since I stayed there - the ScubaBoard Cozumel Invasion in July, 2012 - but the food, other than breakfast, was, IMO, absolutely terrible. Maybe the food gas improved, but I personally wouldn't take the chance when there are so many very good and reasonably priced within easy walking distance. As for Dive Paradise, IMO, OK, but nothing special. I'd go with another Dive Op that will pick up at the Hotel Coz pier but better fits my preferences.

I've stayed there 3 or 4 times now, both using their op and others. Might stay there again in a few months.

1. Hotel Coz allows open access to their pier, something not all hotels do. Most ops will pick you up there but there are some that only leave from the caleta. Many here like 3P and I don't think they pick up at hotels but will cover your taxi to caleta.

2. Most ops use smaller boats (10 divers or less). Some have both small and large boats, like Dive Paradise.

3. The house ops like Dressler and Dive Pros and Sand Dollar use big boats. Don't be deterred by the negative "cattle boat" label. The small boats have smaller groups and get there faster but there are pros to the bigger boats as well like giant stride entry, room to move around, working heads. Big groups are divided into groups of 8 or less.

I've used both the small and large boats with DP. My experiences were all good. They provide a free tank for shore dive to get your weighting and gear right. You can rent more tanks for more shore dives as desired. The shore dives are not comparable to the reef dives but you'll have clear water and plenty of fish.

Rinsing gear. There are rinse tanks, drying racks, and storage lockers by the dock. The bigger boats leave that chore to you. Some ops will keep your gear, rinse and dry it, and have it ready for you next morning. As long as you don't need it for shore diving, that's real convenient. Last time I was there, lockers were available to any guest, diving with DP or others, upon request at check-in.

I have not stayed at Hotel Cozumel for about 10 years ( have tried other places ) I will be there this November and January. It's a great location, easy walk to town, and, easy boat pick up at their peer. Don't usually care for the all inclusive, as others have said, the food in town is better. In this case made more sense, all inclusive was cheaper. Expedia a little bit less in November, January ( funjet) a crazy good deal and much cheaper. Also, if I add afternoon and evening dives and don't feel like going into town I can find something on the buffet that'll work.
I would definitely do a small boat in Coz. Love the backward roll! And it gets everybody in the water faster. Dive company will take care of your gear, some do wetsuits, some don't. Some people prefer to do all their own gear themselves, which is an option also.

Let me second flyboy's post. While I like Hotel Coz - big, comfortable rooms, great pool area, decent service, good location - I would NOT do the AI option there. It has been 5 years since I stayed there - the ScubaBoard Cozumel Invasion in July, 2012 - but the food, other than breakfast, was, IMO, absolutely terrible. Maybe the food gas improved, but I personally wouldn't take the chance when there are so many very good and reasonably priced within easy walking distance. As for Dive Paradise, IMO, OK, but nothing special. I'd go with another Dive Op that will pick up at the Hotel Coz pier but better fits my preferences.

I've never had a problem with the food. There are enough items on the buffet that I always found something decent. You can have them make you an omelet or burger fresh.

I agree there are much better and cheaper food options around town. El Moros, Los Otates, El Pique, La Seras, Mision, La Choza, ... this could go on and on. It's a bit of walk to town if it's hot but doable.

However, pricing out options it seems Hotel Coz is only charging you about $10-15/person more for AI than for the room. At that amount, you can do both. The AI is really about the convenience. Getting off the dive boat and immediately getting lunch right there while you and your gear is drying as opposed to drying off, changing, getting a cab, figuring out where to go, etc. Lunch takes 20 minutes of your day rather than 2 hours. Same for dinner. Sometimes it's nice to not have to do anything but walk down the hall, have a meal, and walk to the pool, have a few drinks by the pool, then amble back to your room.

I have to agree with ReefHounds reasoning re the AI option. People don't look at the cost of non alcohol drinks when saying they are non drinkers. A beer or a Coke costs roughly the same at the hotel, & so does a glass of lemonade. If you hang out around the pool, beach club or sports bar sharing photos & videos from the day's diving one can consume the full value of the AI option easily without eating lunch or dinner at the hotel. I also agree with the time analysis. Start to finish it can easily eat up 2 hours going into town for a meal. It's your time so use it however you want but I have always got full value from the AI option & still eat out several times too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom