List your favorite Texas dive sites....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I enjoy Balmorhea State Park to have a laid back family dive weekend. It's very shallow (I think only 21' at the deepest) but is totally filled with fish and turtles. A lot of dive shops in the West Texas area use Balmorhea for training, but all are extreamly friendly and courteous. It's a bit out of the way but enjoyable for a weekend.

Situated about four miles west of Balmorhea, Texas, Balmorhea State Park was constructed in 1856 by the Civilian Conservation Corps, or CCC, between 1936 and 1941. The CCC was established as a New Deal program by President Franklin D. Roosevelt during the Great Depression as a way to employ people that would have otherwise been out of work. Many of the state parks in Texas were developed during this time. The springs also fill a 'cienega' (desert wetland) and the canals of a refugium, home to endangered species of fish, assorted invertebrates, and turtles. The pool differs from most public pools in several respects: the 1 3/4-acre size, the 25-foot depth and the 72 to 76 degree constant temperature. It also has a variety of aquatic life in its clear waters. There is a species of fish there known as a Mexican Tetra that is a smaller relative of the Piranha and has [a similar] appetite. If you take a tortilla into the water with you, it will disappear into a cloud of swarming Tetras. With a capacity of more than 3 1/2 million gallons, the pool has plenty of room for swimmers, while offering a unique setting for scuba and skin diving. 28 million gallons of water flow through the spring-fed swimming pool each day. Other CCC structures in the park include a limestone concession building, two wooden bathhouses, an adobe superintendent residence, and San Solomon Courts, an early expression of the modern-day motel, constructed of adobe bricks. All of the CCC buildings are constructed in a Spanish Colonial style with stucco exteriors and tile roofs.

Balmorhea State Park is open all year. In addition to the cottages, there is also a sizeable RV Park.

The number for reservations is 512-389-8900.
The number for the park proper is 432-375-2370.
Balmorhea State Park

P O Box 15
Toyahvale TX 79786.

Thanks for all the good info Darth. As I stated I am a newbie and slowly going deeper with every dive outing. So far 41' is my deepest, last weekend at Clear Springs. I do look forward to going deeper and finding more stuff. I am looking forward to going next month.

I have been reading about the property changing hands. Hopefully the new owners will keep it a scuba park and maybe improve on it. Lets think positive.

Any rig in blue water (so anywhere from 3-50 miles off shore) depending on the time of year...thus far I am strictly salt water.

Flower Gardens are great too...we sometimes dive with Copeland's in Corpus, very safe outfit in my experience...most of my certifications are through Copeland's as well.

Greetings,

I've been reading through this section and found a couple of interesting sites. I am coming down for work in the Clear Lake area and wanted to know what my dive options are within a 2 hr drive radius. Since, I've usually dive in those "warm" Canadian waters of the Great Lakes and St. Lawerence Seaway, something different rig or quarry, etc would be appealing.

Cheers,

Jim

Have any of you tried the Valhalla (sp?) missile silo? I've been meaning to try that out. Of all the places in TX that I've gone, the Comal River in New B. was really, really fun. I went the weekend after the 4th of July '08. All I can say is, bring a mesh bag down w/you to collect you booty. It's literally a treasure hunt!! You wouldn't believe the stuff ppl bring on the river!!! (Why am I telling you guys this?!?!) Anyhow, it's a drift dive w/ LOTS of fish, turtles, grass paths, etc. A single tank can last you all weekend. I've tubed the river dozens of times and never knew the amount of wildlife in there. Oh, and yes, it does get VERY shallow in some areas...wear some xtra weight/don't fill your bc and streamline your profile- you do NOT want to 'dredge' when you dive there. Have fun!!!
Look it up on FAT BOY SCUBA

I dove Valhalla back in October of last year. It was an interesting dive, one for the log book and a good story to tell. It's a long way from Houston to dive 110' in a cement tube. If you go, it is very cold! I wore hood, gloves and a 4/3 with a 3 mil shorty over it and still wished for more protection. Constant 59 degrees and crystal clear water. Viz is comparable to Yucatan cenotes but nothing to really see. If you're in the area and can hook up with group, it's worth it.

I agree with you on the Comal. It's one of the nicest dives in freshwater as far as bottom time, aquatic life and viz. I've heard Chalk Bluff on the Nueces is similar. Has anyone dove it?

Has anyone dove Mamoth Lake in Lake Jackson I looked it up and it seems intersting. Went by there to ask about vis., ect.but dive shop was closed. Might be worth a trip???

A few has mentioned Lake Travis, but not Mansfield Dam Park, and it has a scuba park too, with a few boats, planes, barges, and the dam. What I like about Mansfield; everyone is at Windy Point, so the Mansfield scuba park is dead.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom