lithium batteries (departing czm)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stu1965

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have always kept my camera / light batteries in my carry on, based on TSA guidelines. I remember the last time I was in czm (2019), i had to put them in my checked bag to get OUT of czm, then when i changed over back in the states, I moved them back into my carry on.

What can I expect now? Traveling end of January 2022.

That's odd. That is how Mexico used to handle batteries a decade ago but for the past 5 years or so they have gotten in sync with the rest of the world and require loose batteries to be in carry on. I just flew out Sunday and specifically asked a security person if dive lights are ok in carryon and he said yes. All my camera lights and batteries were in my carry-on.

On my way out of Cozumel, i had them in my laptop bag, and no one said anything. might have been an oversight though

Thanks for the replies. Hopefully that's everyone's recent experience. I'm used to keeping them all in my carry-on

That's odd. That is how Mexico used to handle batteries a decade ago but for the past 5 years or so they have gotten in sync with the rest of the world and require loose batteries to be in carry on. I just flew out Sunday and specifically asked a security person if dive lights are ok in carryon and he said yes. All my camera lights and batteries were in my carry-on.
Yeah they have finally gotten up to speed with the rest of the world.

They did confiscate mini allen wrenches from my GoPro kit- I had totally forgot they were there. GoPro batteries were no issue in carry-on.

Last April my buddy had a small bag of loose batteries in his carryon. It went through xray, they opened the carryon and confiscated the loose batteries (these were mostly AA alkalines... not lithium.) We tried to ask why and were just told "not allowed."

It seems that installed batteries are generally allowed; the policy on loose batteries, whether in checked luggage or carry-on, is generally confusing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom