Little Cayman Beach Resort - Trip Report - Sep 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heavy machinery is the big factor for damaging turtle nests with Sargassum removal. I would not take the words of a property owner as the bottom line without hearing what the statement was based on. Just earlier this year we had a total misrepresentation of the truth from a vacation lodging on the South shore of Grand Cayman regarding Sargassum. Their statement was an outright lie. The coral bleaching and Sargassum in The Sister islands is worse than usual this year. Probably the same situation in other destinations including GC. It is what it is and businesses need to deal with it. Most businesses keep their areas of the beach clean. Many volunteers constantly do the public beaches. This year some help has been given by putting the NICE workers on the job as well, but the main burden falls on local businesses.

I did not see much bleaching at any of the sites we visited last week on LCBR. Au contraire, it was remarkably healthy. Cozumel, Bonaire and Roatan were in much worse shape last time I visited. There was some cyanobacteria (red slime) on the sand at shallow depths but not enough to make me think that it was a serious problem.

The DOE released a report this week saying this year took a toll due to warm waters and “perhaps” Sargassum. The report centered on The Sister Islands but the same conditions would have been throughout The Caribbean.

Just much more sargassum at Brac. No idea why.

I sent a Facebook chat message to CBBR asking about the current sargassum situation and received this reply:

"It’s a never ending problem. We do our best to keep it under control but it’s not a winning battle. The worst is near the dock but it’s mostly an unremarkable smell unless you’re very close to it. But then everyone’s sensitivity varies. Although everyone wishes it wasn’t there, the vast majority of guests understand and largely ignore it."

Which islands, and where on the island gets hit depends entirely on the direction of the wind and where the sargassum got stirred up. The position of CBBR relative to the cut out through the reef leaves them open to having sargassum piling up along that stretch of beach, because they are beyond where the flow out the cut would pick it up and carry it back out. On LC, the current tends to run NE to SW through the lagoon and then out the cut or over the reef at the SW end of the lagoon. That current probably carries a lot of sargassum that makes it into the lagoon back out without ever hitting the beach. That is not to say they don't get their share on LC at times, but frequent raking probably makes it easier to keep up with what they do get relative to what piles up on CB.

I think I would put more stock in @tridacna first hand experience and statements that it stunk to high heaven and you could smell it from the pier to the restaurant than any comments from those working at the resort. They don’t want to put potential guests off especially as there may not be a problem when those potential guests are there. The Sargassum situation is very fluid. However they have every reason to play it down unlike someone who was just there and has no vested interest. Exactly the same situation happened with the place in Boddentown here in GC. Management denied it when in reality it was so bad for weeks and weeks that just driving along the south side was sickening.

By potential guests I meant people who might be planning on going. Sorry thought that was implied. The guests that have been there are not potential you are totally correct. However the ones that were actually there said it stunk to high heaven and included the restaurant area. I honestly don’t think they have any reason to say that if it is not true.

I see what you mean now, you're talking about word getting out and putting off potential guests before the even consider booking the trip.

I'm sure that's exactly why one or more resorts are giving out false information about how bad the problem isn't.

Although everyone wishes it wasn’t there, the vast majority of guests understand and largely ignore it.

I guess it depends on your sensitivity. I was at LCBR in August and did the day trip to CBBR. For me I noticed the smell the first afternoon upon arrival. After that I really didn't notice it the rest of the trip. I guess I became desensitized to it though I didn't find it overwhelming to begin with. It in no way hindered my enjoyment of the pool and the grounds though I did steer clear of the small beach area. I don't hang out there much at this particular resort anyway. All IMHO, YMMV.

Also as far as the diving...it had been a couple years since my last visit. I found the reefs to be pretty healthy in general. I did notice some bleaching and other damage on a couple of the big wall sites. Some of the walls didn't seem to have the sponge and coral density I remembered from previous visits, but it was very site specific. The viz was excellent and we had several good sized shark sightings (they weren't skittish :eyebrow:). Plus the eagle rays really put on a show. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom