Little silver fish in the Gulf of Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the suggestion Ryan. Do you have any recommendation for a set of photos where I can see what you are pointing at? The ReefNet set only has adults, as far as I can see.

I just received an e-mail from the Wilks, and they concur with Ryan that the most likely family is mullets, and that these little ones are juveniles. They cannot identify the species for sure, but they mention that Agonostomus monticola (mountain mullet) has been reported in Veracruz before, and could be the species...

Ryan, I am still curious to learn more about juvenile mullets. If you have any suggestions for material, that would be great. Thanks again.

One of my co-workers and I spent some time going over publishings from some of the researchers working on Mugils...we considered Agonostomus monticola, and it still may be a possibility however the median fins do not show any of the pigmentation that is typical for mountain mullet, but we could not rule out a pigmentation pattern that could be local to that area that does not show in preserved specimens. Without an actual specimen I dont believe we can get below Mugil spp. I will see if I can find some online info on juvenile mullet, there doesnt seem to be much readily available.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom