Live aboard in Maldives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jason Ooi

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hi Mates,

My next destination is heading to Maldives, so we plan 3 - 11 January 2009, I never been there before so we prefer spend a night in Male Town will try to get local tour agent as well, I prefer live aboard charter length 33m above, so what do you guys think?
Divers please give your advice, your help will much appreciated.

Thanks in advanced.

Cheers,
Jason
:coffee:

You should check under the Accidents section about a Maldives accident in May

Hi Jason
Have just returned from our 7th visit and about to book our 8th visit...love it there.
We've done a mixture of island & liveaboards and for some of the best diving we now stick to liveaboards.

Last year and this year we've used to same company and our next vist will be with them again :

Maldive Scuba Tours; they have over 15 yrs experience in the Maldives and last year we were lucky to be joined by one if the owners Rob and his passion was clear to see.

Have a look on their website and look back at trip reports and guest comments; a large chunk of their bookings are repeat guests; and I thinks that tells you alot.

They run 7 or 12 day trips; we do the 12 day trips as the boats go to atolls further away. This years trip was just awsome; day 1 we had mantas on all dives and spent 2.5 hours snorkelling with 4 whale sharks; the 1st one was 8m and just spent her time coming towards you with her mouth open and gulping...boy she had one large mouth (lol) and more mantas that I could count....awsome!

They have 2 boats: Seaqueen & Sea Spirit; we've been on both and for us SQ wins; Lisa & Dave have been there for 4 years and really do know their stuff and went out of their way to ensure guests were happy plus Dave likes to get the guitar out which goes well with a cold beer/wine.

Crew - great; happy to help as and when but not in your face

Food - chef; worth his weight in gold! Fantastic. Fresh catch of the day, mean green curry, don't eat fish so I always had a nice steak or chicken. And always something sweet to eat following the last dive of the day; chocolate cake that melts in the mouth.

Boat - very clean and comfortable. 6 cabins;max 12 divers. Not big flash boats...but in my opnion the best operator/liveboard. If you look on some UK forums you will see they have a very good reputation and over the years have built a strong guest loyalty standard.

Other stuff - nitrox available, smbs to be used on every dive, boats don't travel at night, 3 dives a day unless also doing night dive, water temp sept/oct 29 - 31.

Male really is bursting with people and rather hetic; if you wanted a hotel b4 you went onto a liveaboard then you could look at staying on: airport hotel: good food, beer or two, pool to chill at or you could do an island near Male: Bandos.

Hope my 'wittering on' may have been of use.
Regards
Vicky

there are some of my Maldives images on my website -[/QUOTE]

do you remember what it said?
if you don't remember don't worry - i'll down to a cybercafe tomorrow

thanks for letting me know

there are some of my Maldives images on my website [/URL]-

In June I booked a trip on the Manthiri. Really loved it. Smaller boat but fantastic servcie. Mosa is top as a guide. So is Abou. Loved it so much i booked a longer on a longer 12 day trip end of next year.

i've done 2 Maldives liveaboards this year:

Sea Spirit:
Plusses: superbly well organised diving, great dive guides (david & Tracey), just 12 divers on the dhoni.
Minuses: Nitrox very expensive, boat a little tired, food ok ish.

Nautilus2:
++: huge cabins & best food ever on a liveaboard (even compared to Aggressor fleet), free nitrox.
--: diving not so well organised, 24 divers on dhoni does not make for rapid descents in strong current.

I hope this is helpful

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom