Liveaboard and social distancing for Covid-19

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interceptor121

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Most countries are imposing social distancing of at least 1 meter because of Covid
However on most boats you have people sharing a cabin that are not part of the same household so social distancing cannot be ensure unless you run single occupation cabin

This is a significant grey area and I would like to understand what is currently planned by operators?

Due to uncertainty I have postponed my boat to 31st July 2021

I don’t think liveaboard is a good idea for now. If someone on the boat carries coronavirus, it’s dangerous since you can’t always guarantee to keep safe distance like on the crowded platform. Even if you can keep safe distance, you still have a great chance to touch what he or she touches, which is kind of risky.

Doesn't matter. You are basically in the same household on a LOB. Nothing you can do about it.

The reason I asked the question is because unless you have single occupancy this is not going to fly and therefore I postponed my boat.
With a vaccine not ready soon I do not see how liveaboard can operate for the foreseeable future. I can see day boats operating but not liveaboard hence I asked the question as I see people saying we are going in July or similar
How can you?

It is a coin toss. And I am guessing liveaboards will now have virus clauses.

More apt to catch it from daily interactions than the minimal amount of time you spend in your room on a LOB.

I understand your point of view, but "how can you?" Now that my country is opening back up (good or bad), How can you go to work? How can you go to the grocery store? How can you leave the house? It's all some level of increased risk compared to "before." As I see it (for now), once I'm on the boat I'm interacting with fewer variables although more intimately. On the boat or plane getting there I'm interacting with people who (more or less) choose to be there. You can't say the same about the working world. If the planes are flying, they need my business. If locales are excepting tourists, then they've decided they need my business. If I'm going to work, I'm going to play. That horse is now officially out of the barn. I wish there was a better organized plan beyond social distancing, masks, and washing your hands, but it's what we currently have. I'll follow those rules as best I can and I'll look at each situation independently and make my own risk assessment. I'm not a cowboy. :) If there is news of a real vaccine around the corner, I'll re-evaluate. If you're in a "high risk" group or your own risk assessment is different and you choose a more conservative route, good for you (I truly mean that :thumb2:). Like a lot of things (as we know as divers) it's personal based on your own circumstances, experience, and the situation. Unfortunately it's the world in which we now live and we have to figure out how to live in it. All IMHO, YMMV.

More apt to catch it from daily interactions than the minimal amount of time you spend in your room on a LOB.

Not minimal you sleep and sneeze whatever and share a bathroom.
I have just been informed that in some countries you run at 50% and single occupancy as requirement or you go nowhere which is what I suspected

If Guadalupe, Mexico is open for LOB, I'm going to be on Nautilus Belle Amie in end of July (21-26). Then I'll post my experience here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom