Liveaboard at Bahamas with additional charge on solo diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nicole2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

I'm thinking about going to the Bahamas this March, ideally with a liveaboard. When I try to book a cabin, these liveaboards are charging me a single occupancy fee because I'm a solo diver. It would increase the price of the trip from $1600 --> $2400.
Is it even worth it to take that liveaboard paying extra $800?? I requested the liveaboard to even share the double occupancy cabin with someone else if possible as the cabin had two single mattresses. I know it'd be awkward if I would really have to share with someone, but I think it's better than having to pay extra $800!

Any thoughts ??

I've never heard of such a thing. And that price is higher than Blackbeard's but cheaper than the AquaCat or Bahamas Aggressor I think, unless you caught a sale, and I don't know what Cat Ppalu runs these days. Did you call the Juliet? Lost Island Voyages? So, to help clarify (especially since you mentioned 'these liveaboards' - plural):

1.) Which live-aboard specifically did you encounter this with?
2.) Did you try booking on the phone or via their website?
3.) Are you the person really got it through their head you were willing to share with a same sex room mate? Sounds like you're reluctant, and if you led the conversation with claiming you were solo, perhaps the idea stuck in their mind.
4.) What did you mean by solo diver? Did you mean you will be doing unguided solo dives (in which case we've had report of Blackbeard's not allowing it at some past point; I don't know about now), or that you are traveling by yourself?
5.) Did they explain their reasoning?

One of the advantages of live-aboard diving vs. land-based dive resorts tends to be avoiding single surcharges as long as you're willing to accept a same sex room mate. I've been on 3 Aggressor boats where that was the case.

More details are needed.

Blackbeard's doesn't have a single surcharge. Why not book with them? Save some money and see most if not all of the same dive sites.

As far as actually diving solo they do say they allow it with proper certification (from their current FAQ)

As far as actually diving solo they do say they allow it with proper certification (from their current FAQ)

I think it was @drbill (IIRC?) who went with Blackbeards, that was the case then, and he wasn't allowed to solo dive. So it that's an issue, double check. In fact, getting an e-mail confirming it and taking a printed copy of that e-mail might not be a bad idea.

Richard.

The boats lose a lot of money on half filled cabins. I don't blame them, even if it makes being a solo (as I am) a pain. I have had to share with some awful snoring and sketchy roomies.

But, Blackbeards is a cattle boat, IMO.

Pretty clear confusion in this thread and at the liveaboard on single diver vs solo diver.
The OP is apparently traveling alone - single - not diving alone - solo. So a surcharge for an empty bed in a cabin is standard.
If she is actually solo diving, the cabin won't change price.
Whether she is allowed to solo dive depends on boat policy, but cabin price is not part of that.

Hello,

I'm thinking about going to the Bahamas this March, ideally with a liveaboard. When I try to book a cabin, these liveaboards are charging me a single occupancy fee because I'm a solo diver. It would increase the price of the trip from $1600 --> $2400.
Is it even worth it to take that liveaboard paying extra $800?? I requested the liveaboard to even share the double occupancy cabin with someone else if possible as the cabin had two single mattresses. I know it'd be awkward if I would really have to share with someone, but I think it's better than having to pay extra $800!

Any thoughts ??
I assume you are traveling alone and calling it solo? "Single" is what you mean?
Liveaboards can usually fill the extra bed in a cabin. The trick is to say you are willing to share.....and then you take whomever they provide. But if they don't fill the boat, you win, and end up without a roommate.

I know it'd be awkward if I would really have to share with someone, but I think it's better than having to pay extra $800!
Keep in mind that you will spend very little time in the cabin, so embrace the experience and save your hard earned cash.

We do not charge a single supplement for solo travelers, as long as you are ok sharing a room - and we will respect your roommate gender preference as well. If you require a room to yourself, we do ask that you pay for both spaces. We take so few divers (only 12) on each trip that we can't really afford to keep our prices what they are and offer discounts on double spaces...

We also do allow for solo diving as long as divers have the proper certification and redundancies.

Unfortunately we won't be in the Bahamas in March. But we do have room for a solo female March 6-12 out of Frederiksted, St. Croix if you're interested? Or Mona Island March 14-20? Both have female solo travelers needing a (female) roommate.

I think it was @drbill (IIRC?) who went with Blackbeards, that was the case then, and he wasn't allowed to solo dive. So it that's an issue, double check. In fact, getting an e-mail confirming it and taking a printed copy of that e-mail might not be a bad idea.

Richard.

Good suggestion. It was the DM on the boat that wouldn't allow me to dive solo (after their offices told me I could). She was a PITA and many on board that trip filed complaints against her and she was fired. Thoroughly enjoyed that trip though as the rest of the guests were lots of fun and great to dive with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom