Liveaboard decision

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ilaria

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We are planning a trip to Thailand once again, this time thinking Andamen Sea. We think a live aboard may be a good option (never having done one) and are looking at ships and options for a 2 or 3 night to try out "Liveaboards". Budget is not the main concern but instead departure/arrival and comfort/safety of the ship as well as dive sites.

It seems March is a bit close and within our dates we have been unable to find an ensuite options which I really wanted along with a double bed. Between the below options which would be a nicer first experience.

South Siam - we like the ability flexibility of doing two or three nights and can do on front end of trip leaving on Saturday or Sunday. Concerned it may be a bit hectic.

Oktavia - we like the two night as a first live aboard but falls later in our week. Seems like the nicer boat . Lists Bon, Tachai, Rhichelieu

Genesis - we like the two night and the boat just concerned we would sacrifice into two twins, not my favorite. Similians only

Manta Queen 2 (or can do Manta 5 but in twin) 3 nighter Tho Bon, Koh Tachai, Richelieu and Boonsung. A little longer but does wreck which the honey loves.

With these options available is there a better option? We would also not be opposed to adding a long day trip later in the week stay but want some land time too to experience Phuket.

Appreciate your assistance.

Oktavia has en-suite cabins, but maybe booked at your dates?

Manta Queen 5 would be Similans plus Koh Bon, MQ2 would be the much nicer diving.
Genesis on your dates apparently also Similans only, and yes, South Siam can be hectic, and will have much more movement during the trip.

I'd recommend you to do Oktavia or MQ2.

If you prefer I'd be happy to arrange this for you of course :)

I would not hesitate to do a 4 day liveaboard if I were you. It is more relaxed, there is more time to settle into the diving patterns and get to know the other divers. This is one of my favorite aspects of liveaboards over daytrips.
Otherwise I agree with Steven.
I have just been on South Siam and it is not just a bit hectic, it is a madhouse. I would avoid it.
I am pretty sure that there are other options than those you list, but without knowing your exact dates, there is no way to tell.
Give your exact dates to Steven and he can tell you what is available in the area and book for you.

I would be okay with a 4 day/3 night. Anything longer, we would like to be able to get on/off and would be concerned over needing a little exercise and "land" adventure.

Steve, I will reach out to you.

Not having unlimited time to do everything would you recommend doing the Similian Islands or Koh Bon/Richelieu? I think schedule may have to select one or the other unless the trip is longer.

Thank you Kindly

Last edited:
The most common liveaboard format in the area is 4 days / 4 nights, starting with a night.
That means you will get picked up from Phuket around 16:00 or from Khao Lak at around 18:00 and depart from Thap Lamu pier close to Khao Lak. You have a late dinner on the boat, get a boat briefing, and set up your equipment. The boat moves during the evening and night and the next morning you will be at the first dive site, typically an easy dive in the Similans.
The first 3 days you will do 4 dives each day and the last day you will do 2 dives, totalling 14 dives.
The dive sites will be around Similans, Koh Bon, Richelieu Rock and Tachai Pinnacle. I would urge you to chose a trip that visits all of those sites.
The boat will arrive at the port again in the afternoon of the 4th day.
This format is nice because the evening arrival on the boat allows you to calmly set up your gear, get settled in your cabin, and talk to the other guests. Then you are ready and relaxed when you start diving the next morning.
On the last day, there will be at least an hour or two to rinse and dry your gear a bit before the boat reaches port again. The relaxed pace is what I love so much about liveaboard diving compared to daytrips.

South Siam picks you up at sh*t o'clock in the morning, then there is a 2.5 hour drive from Phuket, a 1.5+ hour uncomfortable speed boat ride, then you have 20 minutes (!) to set up your gear before the first dive. You will not get your cabin until late in the afternoon when people who are leaving the boat that day have left. When I was there, there were 76 divers on the boat at the same time. On the last day, you will have literally zero time to rinse and dry your gear before you pack to go on the speedboat again.

We were like you (plus travelling with kids!) but took a risk and did 5 days on the Oktavia and am so glad we didn't do the shorter trip. We did it all again 12 months later but with an en-suite cabin that time. We would do it all again a third time if we had the cash.

Back
Top Bottom