Liveaboard or land based?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shmuggy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I don't see a lot about the liveboards in the Philippines- it seems like land based is what most posters have done. Is this a destination where you might as well stay with land based because you will see the same sites you would on a LOB? I have sometimes noticed that reviews on LOBs talk about pulling up to dive sites with lots of land based boats on them already.

If any LOBs are recommended I would love to know about them.

Thanks

Certainly depends on where you are diving. I prefer land-based so I also get a taste of local culture. Sites like Tubbataha require a LOB though.

Tubbataha is definitely worth doing and is liveaboard only. We did it on the Atlantis Azores, good company/boat/trip. So I'm most familiar with their itineraries, and they do tend to do something you can't as easily do land based - namely hit a variety of areas on one itinerary, which I think is a common value-add with the liveaboards and safari boats there. Even if you can get to the same sites land based, traveling around the Philippines tends to be more time consuming than you might think. So if you want to hit a few areas on one trip without the transfer hassles and/or really long days on day boats, or simply like the ease of liveaboard diving, it's a good thing. Diving and staying in the Phillipines tends to be inexpensive, and a liveaboard will typically cost more, so that may cut down on demand for them there. But I think it's a great idea if it works for you.

@shmuggy

Tubbataha is arguably the best diving available in the Philippines and as @Damselfish mentioned, is by liveaboard access only. The window for the season is very short, around late March to early June, though early March and late June are more susceptible to rougher waters and stronger winds. The best time is mid April to mid-May to be safe. I know a few people that work at Tubs and they have had to cancel trips before at the edges of the season. As it is a long open water crossing (half a day), I suggest you ensure you are on an open-sea worthy boat so tread carefully with some of the more budget boats. There is one that has been reviewed quite negatively here about safety issues that starts with a "S" and ends with an "A". Discovery Fleet, Solitude, and Atlantis are all solid options. There are quite a few other boats out there that are good so do some research.

You can also do the Visayas by liveaboard, though it's not necessary. They also have safaris which are diving and eating on the boats during the day and then staying in local guesthouses at night. There is one from Sipalay to Moalboal or the reverse and you get to dive along the way. Savedra/Cebu Fun Divers websites have the info you need for it. There is also a safari that starts from El Nido and ends in Coron that is 3 nights, 4 days run by Submariner Dive Center that is excellent. They have nitrox on board and we got to see the WWII wrecks along the way. Puerto Galera is good and is an excellent land based option. In fact, if you stay at El Galleon and dive with Asia Divers (with a pier, the only one in the bay!), it feels like liveaboard diving...They come back in between every dive and it is only a short walk from bed to food to dive boat and back...Just the way I like it!

I hope this helps.

If you want the best:
LoB: Tubattaha(mid Mar to mid June ONLY).
Land: Southern Leyte.

Tubattaha is really the only place LoB is common here. Yes they can be arranged down south in the Visayas, but less common.

This could be the result of many unsuccessful LoB operators here in the past with very substandard boats/equipment. Plus, for many "ports" are not deep enough for a sizable LoB, only deep enough for the local boat style.

Just my impression, it seems that the disparity in cost between Lob and Land is greater in Philippines than most places. Including fees and surcharges, Lob will run $300-400 per day. You can do land-base really cheap there, from $100-150 per day. The dive safaris are also about $150 per day.

Thanks for all the information. I have a lot to consider.

I was planning to dive Malapascua and Moalboal, possibly Oslob, from land, but then Philippine Siren had a flash sale of a 10-day liveaboard around Cebu for $2520 and I jumped on. I figured that the convenience of having a boat take me all around Visayas rather than arranging a bunch of land/sea transfers is worth the slight price premium. Wouldn't do it at their normal price of $4200 though. I'll report on it after I come back :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom