Liveaboard Review: Juliet Sailing and Diving(Lionfish Derby 10/22-10/28/2016)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

after reading the above, I was wondering, since everybody dives without guides, but a solo cert is required to dive alone, then everyone must start their dives with a buddy?

after reading the above, I was wondering, since everybody dives without guides, but a solo cert is required to dive alone, then everyone must start their dives with a buddy?

That is how it was when I was on the Juliett.

Great report. I have not done a liveaboard yet but maybe someday. This sounds like a boat/crew that I would enjoy.

For the most part, yes, I think most or all boats mandate that you have a buddy if you're not solo certified. Realistically though once you splash in, anyone within an arm's reach can be your buddy. I make every effort to see bubbles from my fellow divers at all times and also keep an eye on my compass directions. I guess the best and safest approach here is to dive within your own limits and not be reckless if you're going to stray away from the group.

Thanks all. I understand about an official requirement for having a solo cert to dive solo but since you are diving straight from the boat, rather than an organized group from a skiff, I was wondering how that actually worked out.

scbaNE2179: That's how I tend to dive too considering all the divers in the group as buddies to keep an eye on because anything can happen to them or me.

<<not be reckless if you're going to stray away from the group>> this could be considered a contradiction in terms. :) Since few people carry SpareAir, straying from an alternate air source even just down current in a strong current could be enough though we are lucky that equipment is reasonably reliable. Sure, never happens, until we read about you in the Accidents forum. Every trip I have been on has "adults" scatter in different directions at dive start and back with nearly empty tanks on every dive, particularly the photogs.

I did Juliet to Bahama's in August with Gold Coast Sucba out of Lauderdale by the Sea,Fl we had a blast. I'll be going again!

Last edited:
Quick question for those of you who have been on the Juliet: can the electrical wiring support a hair dryer? I'm thinking about bringing one with me if it's feasible.

(I'm going on the repo trip starting this Saturday. So excited!)

<<not be reckless if you're going to stray away from the group>> this could be considered a contradiction in terms. :) Since few people carry SpareAir, straying from an alternate air source even just down current in a strong current could be enough though we are lucky that equipment is reasonably reliable. Sure, never happens, until we read about you in the Accidents forum. Every trip I have been on has "adults" scatter in different directions at dive start and back with nearly empty tanks on every dive, particularly the photogs.

Completely agree. I guess being "reckless" is not just limited to low air supply. If I had a buddy with a Spare Air, I would probably adjust my dive profile to be shallower and closer to the main group! I do however, pay close attention to the dive briefings to make certain to stay away from known current areas, etc.

Quick question for those of you who have been on the Juliet: can the electrical wiring support a hair dryer? I'm thinking about bringing one with me if it's feasible.

(I'm going on the repo trip starting this Saturday. So excited!)
Good question, you may have to contact the Juliet on this. I'm not an electrical person and I know the boat uses 2 generators but I would probably assume the room outlets may not draw enough power for a HD. You're on a dive livaboard and everyone has messy hair anyways!

Back
Top Bottom