Liveaboard Review: Turks & Caicos Explorer II(12/10/2016)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scbaNE2179

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Liveaboard Review: Turks & Caicos Explorer II(12/10/2016)
Turks and Caicos Liveaboard Diving - Explorer Ventures

Below is my full review of my most recent experience on the Turks and Caicos Explorer 2. This is my 3rd trip with them in the last year. Yes, 3 in one year with the same OP and boat-the boat and the diving is that good-well at least for me. Apologies if the review is a little late since the trip was back in early December.

Overall
The luxury Turks and Caiocos Exploer II vessel carries up to 20 passengers and 8 crew. All staterooms throughout the vessel have port lights or windows, individually-controlled air-conditioning, and private ensuite bathrooms. Diving is done primarily North West Point in Provo, West Caicos, and French Key. The majority or all of the sites are wall dives so if you're into deep walls, then this is the ultimate playground for you.

Getting to the TCEX2
The TCEX2 is located in Providenciales, or “Provo” for short. Once in Provo, you'll go through customs and immigration, collect your bags and make your way to ground transportation.

As you exit the airport, you'll want to keep an eye out for someone holding the Explorer Ventures sign-this is the person you'll want to say hello to. This person will then ask you to wait at the bar(Gilley's Lounge in Provo) around the corner as they wait for other guests to arrive. An hour and a diet coke later, I was instructed to board a van to take us to the EX2. The price of this LA does not include transfers so cab ride was approx $25 per person.

TCEX2 Layout Overview
The TCEX2 is a 124ft luxury yacht vessel with 4 primary decks. Lower deck(Bunk staterooms). Main Deck(Dive deck, dining, salon, staterooms), Boat Deck(Sunning area, VIP staterooms, pilot house), and Fly Bridge(Top level lounge area)

Crew for 12/20/2016
JF-Capt
Mark-Engineer
Stan-Chef
Dms: Jo(Bungee)*, Joe, JP
*There's a reason why EV has so many repeat guests to the EX2, more on this later in the review.

Arrival/Boarding Procedures
The TCEX2 is docked in Caicos Marina in Provo, about 25min cab ride from the airport. Caicos Marina is not a tourist marina by any means so you're not going to see anything but boats and industrial construction projects going on.

Once arrived, you'll be greeted by a crew member and will be immediately asked to remove your shoes into a basket as you'll be going barefoot on the boat for the entire duration of the trip. So if you have ugly feet, this may the best time to get a pedi for your toes! During this time, the crew will gather your bags onto the dive deck and into your assigned cabins.

After collecting your shoes, you'll situate yourself into main salon with snacks and beverages. Another crew member will show you to your rooms and give a brief overview on where to get whatever you need from the salon/dining area. This is also where you'll sign some paperwork and provide your C-Cards to the crew.

Meals
The usual 3 squares-Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner. With the exception of breakfast(to order) all meals are served buffet-style with plenty of snacks in between. On every trip I usually bring a large bag of fancy chocolates and other treats as the crew rarely sees premium candy.

Beverages
Upon arrival, you are given a cup with your name on it to use for the week. The same cups can be used for hot and cold liquids but mugs and water glasses are available. Please note that mugs and glass are not allowed on the dive deck as people feet are exposed so much on the dive deck.

As for booze, they have beer, wine, and hard liquor on board. Please note that like all livaboards and for safety reasons, the crew will mandate that once you have a drink, you are not allowed to dive for the remainder of the day.

Gear Set up
As previously mentioned, the first thing we did when we boarded the TCEX2 was to set up our gear for the week. Like all livaboard trips, you set up your tank once in the beginning of the trip and you use the same tank for the entire duration of the trip. Each diver has a small cubby hole with plastic bin to store all of your gear.

Cabin Overview
The TCEX2 has a total of 10 staterooms, accommodating a total of up to 20 passengers. Here's a basic layout: Lower deck(Bunks-3 rooms), Main Deck(Regular rooms-5 rooms), and Boat Deck(VIP rooms-2 rooms). Please note that the price of this trip will vary based on the room type. On all 3 of my trips, I've only stayed in the lower deck rooms and have no reason to upgrade if needed.

Cabins
This is a luxury-based LA similar to other livaboards-each room is either bunk-style, side by side beds, or large single beds. Each room has private bathrooms, plenty of storage, and AC. And of course, several power outlets to charge all of your electronic equipment.

Showers
Each room is equipped with private showers but on the dive platform there are 2 outdoor showers that pump hell on earth hot water to rinse off after every dive.

Diving on the TCEX2
Diving on the TCEX2 is pretty much the same as any other LA boat. You gear up, and you can giant stride into the water on any of the 4 locations of the boat. The port and starboard sides have a 6 foot drop so if you want splash in there, just hold onto your mask when you jump in! Other wise, make your way to the dive deck and just enter the water there.

TCEX2 Swing-Get ready for the most wild ride of your life
On most large livaboard vessels, at the end of your dive you can usually locate the boat via either a hang bar or another form of hang line for easy safety stop procedures. In the case of the EX2, this is not the case. Due to tall nature of the boat, the wind will catch and swing the boat on the mooring a full 360 degrees so if you see the hang lines and get distracted for just a min, the boat is gone! You'll just have to wait for the boat to return back on the swing.

If are feel inclined to catch the hangline at 15ft, just make sure you do not chase after the boat going with the swing as you WILL LOSE the fight. Now if you happen to catch the hangline on the swing, get ready for the most exhilarating ride of your life as the boat will pull you like a carnival ride. One thing to note about the hangline is that it is recommend to only have one person on the hangline during the swing as if there are too many divers on this line, the swing of the boat will pull divers closer to the surface, breaking your safety stop.\

The Dives
As previously mentioned, the TCEX2 itinerary goes something like this: North West Point/Provo > West Caicos > French Key. 5 dives a day(27 total for the week) are offered and you can usually tell what who's doing night dives based on the kind of beverages people have with dinner.

All dives are pretty much wall dives with reefs starting at around 30-50fsw and drop offs are pretty much goes into the abyss. Due to the depth here at Turks, it's highly recommended to dive Nitrox as your NDLs will be limited by the depths here. The crew can also offer to certify you in NX here as well.

TCEX2 Exclusive-DM Jo, aka Bungee
When I first ventured on the TCEX2 last November, I met this UK DM Jo who REALLY loved her dive briefings. I'll try and keep this section brief as not to reveal any spoilers for anyone looking to go on this boat but I'll just say her dive briefings are unlike anything you have witnessed before. Crazy entertaining and a chameleon of colors is her style. Trust me when I say seeing her give dive brief briefings makes me appreciate how much passion she and the rest of the crew has on this boat.

Final thoughts
I'm a creature of habit and there's a reason why this was my 3rd time on the boat, in a little over a year's time. The boat, crew, and especially the diving, is that good. I especially love wall diving so I would return to this boat many times over if I could. Sure, I know I should experience something different someday but so far I have not seen or heard of any other livaboard/dive location that offers walls on every single dive.

Hope this review provides insight for anyone interested into knowing how awesome Explorer Ventures is.

Very nice report. I hope to try Turks & Caicos vs. live-aboard someday; time will tell. I'm impressed at how consistently the main two boats serving that region are praised. One thing you didn't mention, which I've seen mentioned by a number of others, is how 'sharky' it is. I'm under the impression from other reports that T&C diving features a lot of reef shark sightings (a positive thing for many divers). Did you see many sharks, what kinds, and much other 'big stuff?'

Another description I've seen in past reports about T&C diving is that it tends to run deep; pretty deep at the start of the wall. A potential issue for air hogs. What sort of max. & average depths did you tend to run? Did they have any tanks available larger than 80 cf?

Richard.

Nice write up. Twas my experience as well. Looking forward to an opportunity to return.

Rich, my recollection leaves us finishing up our dives on the top of the wall. Sandy bottom little coral clusters here and there with interesting little creatures and fairly fishie . Fun diving.

Last edited:
Very nice report. I hope to try Turks & Caicos vs. live-aboard someday; time will tell. I'm impressed at how consistently the main two boats serving that region are praised. One thing you didn't mention, which I've seen mentioned by a number of others, is how 'sharky' it is. I'm under the impression from other reports that T&C diving features a lot of reef shark sightings (a positive thing for many divers). Did you see many sharks, what kinds, and much other 'big stuff?'

Another description I've seen in past reports about T&C diving is that it tends to run deep; pretty deep at the start of the wall. A potential issue for air hogs. What sort of max. & average depths did you tend to run? Did they have any tanks available larger than 80 cf?

Richard.
Yes they do , I put in a request for a 100 CF tank and it was not a problem. And yes, this liveaboard rates up in the very top of the most enjoyable dives I have ever done.T & C's is awesome diving.

Richard.

Hey Richard!

On this last trip we definitely have seen a reef shark on pretty much every single dive. Mostly Caribbean reef cruising the walls and a few nurse sharks hanging out in the shallows. The nurse sharks at night was definitely more exciting as they compete with the crazy jacks looking for food.

We did infact run into a spotted eagle ray from a distance in French Key but some of my fellow divers claim to have seen a Hammer deep in the abyss. I was actually on this same wall dive-too busy looking at the walls and my dive buddies tried to get my attention to look down to see this shark. So if you want pelagics, you'll want to stay on the wall but you'll definitely sacrifice precious air and NDLs for this op.

Yes, TC is definitely not an ideal dive location for a new diver looking to only do shallow dives. You can certainly dive it shallow and stay within the reefs but the dropoffs are pretty dramatic if you're not careful. Any deep dive can definitely be a concern for air hogs but the boat does offer larger, AL100 tanks at no charge. I don't think the larger tanks are advertised on their website but on every trip I just request this tank as part of my manifest. I would suggest if you are planning on booking this trip or any other LA boats for that matter that you ask and see if they have larger tanks. On this last trip, I was the only one that pre-reserved one of the larger tanks and when word got out that I got a Al100 tank, it was like Black Friday dash to secure the 3 remaining AL100's.

As for my avg depth and max, I'll have to look at my computer logs but I think I averaged between 50-90ft on most dives with max about 116ft. This is why Nitrox is important here as I run out of NDLs before I run of air. Of course the NDLs may differ depending on the default algo on your computer. I personally avoid Suuntos at all costs on livaboard trips with 5 dives a day at 100ft on every dive, it definitely will not like you by day 2!

Lastly, if you are looking to dive everyday for a week, you'll need to sell one of your organs if you do land-based in Provo. The island is by far one of the most expensive from what I've seen so far.

Yes they do , I put in a request for a 100 CF tank and it was not a problem. And yes, this liveaboard rates up in the very top of the most enjoyable dives I have ever done.T & C's is awesome diving.

Most boats don't advertise larger tanks for some reason-but I just know from experience and the kind of diving that I do, I like to have that extra 20ft of safety margin. I have nothing against Aggressor and I still have yet to go on one of their boats but it's just something about a smaller company and the attention you get from smaller ops.

Most boats don't advertise larger tanks for some reason-but I just know from experience and the kind of diving that I do, I like to have that extra 20ft of safety margin. I have nothing against Aggressor and I still have yet to go on one of their boats but it's just something about a smaller company and the attention you get from smaller ops.
I too am a fan of 100 ft3 tanks, being a relatively athletic 6'7" 260 lb. diver who has been known to expend a little extra energy/air at times swimming around taking photos. Aquacat offers this without asking. With the Aggressor trips we've taken, they didn't have too much of an issue when we did the Cayman Aggressor, but when I asked for a 100 (in advance) on a Sun Dancer trip there was a lot of resistance until they finally "worked it out". We did the Explore Ventures CEXII and they were more than happy to provide one; and we just did the T&C aggressor (same week you were on the T&C Explorer, was ), they had no problem accommodating my request, and when my newly certified daughter was still a bit of an air hog they offered to switch her to a 100 too (apparently had several on board). It is nice to have that extra margin!

I too am a fan of 100 ft3 tanks, being a relatively athletic 6'7" 260 lb. diver who has been known to expend a little extra energy/air at times swimming around taking photos. Aquacat offers this without asking. With the Aggressor trips we've taken, they didn't have too much of an issue when we did the Cayman Aggressor, but when I asked for a 100 (in advance) on a Sun Dancer trip there was a lot of resistance until they finally "worked it out". We did the Explore Ventures CEXII and they were more than happy to provide one; and we just did the T&C aggressor (same week you were on the T&C Explorer, was ), they had no problem accommodating my request, and when my newly certified daughter was still a bit of an air hog they offered to switch her to a 100 too (apparently had several on board). It is nice to have that extra margin!

I too have a larger athletic frame and rarely will I use an AL80 on trips. I've been on the AC twice and both times I was able to secure the larger, AL100 tanks. What may also help with your air consumption is switching over to a BPW, and frog kicking. I rarely flutter anymore unless I'm in heavy current or trying to catch up to someone.

You were on the TC Aggressor 12/10 as well? I think we ran into you guys on one of the dives in French Key! We were at the tail end of our dives and saw this other group of divers and I think we all played the "who the hell are these guys" game. TCEX2 is really, really awesome-but watch out for the crew as they WILL make you wear silly costumes on dives if you don't comply or pay attention to their dive briefings!

I was on the T&C Explorer a couple years ago. (Actually, I think the boat was the Caribbean Explorer, but it was based out of Provo.) It too was a great trip.

I made a rookie mistake on the trip. I bought a new BCD and did not dive with it prior to the trip. The LP Inflator valve was incorrectly installed and was constantly pumping air into my BCD's bladder. The only control that I had was to disconnect or connect the inflator hose as required. JF was able to do a repair on the boat with a few "scavenged" parts and a lot of ingenuity and get me diving as if everything was right.

In addition to Bungee Jo, her sister was also on board as a DM and the two of them were not to be missed. Their dive sight briefings were incredible and are almost worth the price of the trip. (Make no mistake, they were very informative, but they were also incredibly entertaining.)

I highly recommend the Turks & Caicos Explorer. If you are thinking of a Live Aboard in the Caribbean, give this one a serious look.

I had a similar inflator issue with my former BC, an Aqualung Dimension with i3 lever. Those things are a deathtrap as air kept adding to the rear bladder as I was at 80ft during a shark dive while on the Aquacat. After that incident I immediately stopped using this feature and just used standard, inflator hose. JF is definitely a skilled tradesman with scuba repair.

I've been on 3 trips with Bunjee but have never met Pippa. Next time you're on the TCEX2, ask Jo how she got her nickname Bunjee-it's an interesting story. People ask me why I keep going back to the same place, same boat, same dives. I tell everyone once you experience the crew and level of service from the crew of TCEX2, it's really difficult to go anywhere else.

Back
Top Bottom