liveaboard Sudan, Oman or Djibouti

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Likewise, my last trip in March was not fantastic as we did not go further than Octopus Rock. Vis was rubbish too compared to diving off Fujairah that weekend.

We generally avoid Octopus and Lima. If we do dive them it's either a bonus dive or because the weather's been against us and we're out of options

Octopus is best dived near the end of a falling tide near to Springsn so the current washes the plankton southwards

Lima can be okay best right out on the East point with some current - not great unless you can fin hard and are good with current - or like us are armed with scooters, then there's the fish bowl but that's down at 40 ish. For the most part the absolute best of the Musandam is outside the capabilities and experience of the average diver as you really do need to be mooching around at 30 or out in the blue. Neither I'd be happy to do just on an 80 Not in the Musandam

I love the Musandam as it's on my doorstep. But and here's the big BUT for the same amount of money you can get to places (maldives, Red Sea etc) that have more consistent vis and sometimes more consistent big stuff that's easier to see - We only see perhaps a couple of reef sharks all year :(

It can be a hard sell because when you're spending money and using yoru vacation time there is a degree of expectation and although the Musandam can be stunning, it can have meh! conditions too.

It doesn't matter to me as it'll only be a couple of weeks between visits so I can deal with poor conditions sometimes. And because we live in the region we're used to teh climate which can be a challenge for those not used to the heat and humidity

Thanks for the information, it's good to hear more about your experiences. Have you dived the Hallaniyat Islands? That's something I'd really like to hear more about if you've been - in terms of diving, conditions etc.

Sudan is great, but not in October/November. Spring is when the Sudanese RedSea knocks your booties off.
Fall is nice weather wise and for seeing oceanic white tips in the Egyptian RedSea.
A few videos from spring (not shot by me, but they cover what a two week trip in the spring normally gets you inme).

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but I'm looking for a diving destination in october/november. Is Sudan not worth it in this period? The whale sharks and other pelagics do interest me, and seven brothers sounds good as well (MY Lucy). It's quite pricey though when adding visa costs etc.
Anyone with experience? Right now the other option i'm considering is Daedalus/Elphinsone/Brothers, or the deep south (I'd like to see some white tips though, been to the brothers already). I'm not very interested in overcrowded dive sites though.

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but I'm looking for a diving destination in october/november. Is Sudan not worth it in this period? The whale sharks and other pelagics do interest me, and seven brothers sounds good as well (MY Lucy). It's quite pricey though when adding visa costs etc.
Anyone with experience? Right now the other option i'm considering is Daedalus/Elphinsone/Brothers, or the deep south (I'd like to see some white tips though, been to the brothers already). I'm not very interested in overcrowded dive sites though.

Save Sudan for spring. If you want to see OWT, the marine parks in Egypt during October/November is your best bet. South Egypt (St Johns) not that interesting if you are interested in seeing bigger stuff. For whale sharks, another option is Tofo in Mozambique. Normally plenty of whale sharks and mantas.

Back
Top Bottom