Liveaboard vs Dive Resort for newbie divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Dan Yes, that’s what all dhonis did, but they were rickety-assed wooden boats that had goose-poop slippery painted decks and brilliant helpers. I’m talking the 1990’s era. They looked like every other boat tied up at Male’ Airport.

Those look almost too civilized, a lot of the sense of adventure seems to be lost.

Is this really what is called a dhoni in the Maldives in 2021?

View attachment 669648

Yikers. I’m coming back!

Nice toilet and shower aboard along with fresh water rinse hoses on transom. Lots of lovely shade.

@Dan Yes, that’s what all dhonis did, but they were rickety-assed wooden boats that had goose-poop slippery painted decks and brilliant helpers. I’m talking the 1990’s era. They looked like every other boat tied up at Male’ Airport.

Those look almost too civilized, a lot of the sense of adventure seems to be lost.
LOL. No wonder. That’s way way before I know how to dive.

Emperor Leo & its Dhoni Sirina
A7D2795F-6AE6-4A69-A258-C1AE432A4A0A.jpeg

IMO, liveaboards are not suited to new divers. I didn't do my first liveaboard until I had about 200 dives. I have an iron stomach and don't get seasick, but back in my early days of diving, I thought about the what-if's. What if I do get seasick? Now I'm stuck on this boat for X amount of days. It turned out my hesitancy wasn't worth the worry, but I'm glad I waited because I did a whole lot of day boat diving in a variety of conditions and learned what to eat and not eat before diving, along with good hydration practices. As others have referenced, location is important. You should do a lot of research before choosing a location because the type of diving should match up with your skill and experience level. The Caribbean is the best place to start off diving in warm tropical waters on a land-based vacation.

One of my favorite things about liveaboards versus land-based trips is setting up your gear just one time. I love that! For a land-based trip, because of mishaps with the dive shops, I don't let them clean and store my gear. So hauling everything to and from the car/hotel is certainly a chore.

Back
Top Bottom