Liveaboard with fewer old people?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the dive charter business overall worldwide will see changes in the next 20 years. Once the current group of “old” divers moves on I don’t think there is enough interest in diving with the upcoming group to maintain the current status quo. There are not enough individuals to replace those exiting and the ones coming in don’t have the spare cash to take lavish LB trips. Could be the end of an era, or at least a severely reduced industry.

The continued ongoing rapid decline in the health of marine reefs/ecosystems is greatly reducing the interest in diving, independent of the age/demographic factors. Lack of interest may be a greater factor than lack of money.

I’m a week shy of 27, and am heading off by myself on a liveaboard. I figure Blackbeard’s has a better chance of having younger people, but I know I’ll have fun either way.

Not sure what the problem is you have with us old farts. Is it that we keep you awake at night with our partying.

I’m 54. When my children were in middle school and high school, everything I did embarrassed them. I used to tell them I was cool until they showed up. Once they decided I was a dork, I made it my goal to embarrass them.

Only one of the 3 scuba dives. 2 of the 3 enjoy snow skiing. None of them water ski as well as the old man. I bet I can out-run all 3. I took my middle one snow skiing last year for 10 days. Yours truly skied all 10 days...she skied 7 1/2. (I sound like that mountain man in Jeremiah Johnson).

Some of us old farts are happening...and, we’ll by the drinks.

I have no issue with those my senior! No doubt anyone I encounter diving will certainly be a much better diver than I, and can hopefully pass along some wisdom. That said, I just figure I’ll naturally get along better with those closer to my age, but who knows. Like I said, I’m going either way, so not too worried about it!

I’m a week shy of 27, and am heading off by myself on a liveaboard. I figure Blackbeard’s has a better chance of having younger people, but I know I’ll have fun either way.
I am pretty sure that whatever the age group you find yourself among you will have a great time. I have been on Blackbeard's at least four times and have always enjoyed it. Plan another trip early next year.

I am pretty sure that whatever the age group you find yourself among you will have a great time. I have been on Blackbeard's at least four times and have always enjoyed it. Plan another trip early next year.
Thats what I like to hear. And I agree, it sounds like I'm going to love it either way.

Im not aware of any lack of interest or decline in divers. If anything, the dive business is expanding as expected. Every time you look around there is another new liveaboard boat at yet another dive destination.

Im not aware of any lack of interest or decline in divers. If anything, the dive business is expanding as expected. Every time you look around there is another new liveaboard boat at yet another dive destination.
If it weren't for us older folks, this would not likely be the case

I think us old folks should butt out. Put your panties that are in a wad in the laundry and leave this thread be.

I, for one, completely understand this OPs desire to hang with younger folk like themselves AND there is nothing wrong with that.

Perhaps the Red Sea will have some liveaboards with younger folk on them because they are generally so much less expensive than those elsewhere, especially on sale. Just a thought and I could be wrong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom