Liveaboard with fewer old people?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll second KathyV's suggestions for meeting people in their 20s. Those are good suggestions to start. I teach for two shops in the Chicago area. It saddens me that I certify lots of 20-somethings but they can't afford to take the trips the shops sponsor. Truthfully, neither could I until my wife and I hit our late 40's and our kids were older. As to trips with both shops, we try to mix in some affordable trips (5 days to Coz, 5 days to cenotes or the Keys), but I feel your pain as to finding new friends that dive. Talk to your local dive dive shop to learn if they are thinking about appealing to the younger, less financially established, divers they have recently certified. Maybe they will try to sponsor a trip with that target group in mind.
As to the original post, both shops have a mix of ages on trips. One contains some thirties and more sixties and the other is twenties to forties with a sprinkle of us 60 year olds. For me, I love diving with folks of any age if diving is their passion and they take safety and the wonders of the ocean seriously. Love seeing those in their 70s diving and hope we are welcome and good dive partners for all involved when we hit that age.

Rob

The Scubaboard sponsored trips are pretty affordable, if I may say so. The Roatan trip is costing me less than 2k not including tips and misc. So figure around 2,500 all in. If one is working even a starting position, I would imagine that would be doable with some conscientious budgeting.

OP, I know there are still some spots available with people, if you want to hang out with some old farts who can afford to drink irresponsibly.

I'm happy to see younger people engaged in diving. Is there a dive club in your area that you could join and meet fellow divers? How about a local dive shop that offers trips? Is there an aquarium where you can become a member and meet others interested in the ocean and marine life? Perhaps there is a local college or university that offers night classes in marine ecology that you could take?
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm in a dive club which I dive with mostly locally, but there are only people who are at least 15 years older (I can understand diving in the murky Netherlands might not be appealing for others my age) or under the age of 12. Your other suggestions might lead to something but I still live in a rural area where those things are not common (but I haven't checked so I'll still look into it :) )
Even though I'm complaining a bit I still consider myself fortunate to have a lot of buddies I can dive with on a regular basis, even if they're a bit older.

Interesting thread!

I am 27 and my girlfriend is 24. Like the original poster, most of the trips we go on have folks older than our age group. This has not mattered to us as we have always have a great time. I have learned plenty and shared some great experiences with the people on these trips. We are not married or have kids, and I am fortunate that my engineering degree landed me a job that allows me to pursue diving as it is my passion. I recently had my 5 yr anniversary with my company and received a third week of vacation. We typically do 1-2 trips a year for fun ourselves and then 1 trip to visit family.

Diving is not an inexpensive hobby, BUT, at the end of each diving day or dive trip I never remember how much we spent, just the great experiences and fun we had with everybody. Debbie works part time and 90% of what she makes goes towards our vacations and she has saved up for our last two; Cozumel and the Dominican Republic. For most folks my age it is a money issue to dive at all, let alone week long trips that can be expensive. Everyone’s situation is different, but if there is a will there is a way.

We will be doing our first liveaboard together in early August, the Turks and Caicos Aggressor. Aggressor was running a 25% off sale which made this trip affordable for us. If there are people our age on the trip, great, if not that’s fine too! We will all be doing lots of diving and have tons of fun together!

Just seen this thread for the first time, age is not much more than a number with regards to personalities. Some of the most fun I have had on liveaboards is with the older guests when the younger ones are deep in the land of nod. I am 30 and travel with either my wife who is the same age or my brother who is 2 years younger. I take the diving really seriously as I am always looking for a better picture than my last dive, however we like to have a few beers and some fun after dinner. The only person who has ever drunk too much rum with me and climbed the ships mast was in his 60s, ( it was my birthday on my Komodo trip. ) Generally we have had more fun staying up chatting with the older guests more so than younger ones, maybe its just coincidence so far - but I'm not convinced.

I've been on 3 liveaboards now, and Mike Ball in Australia was the only one that wasn't average age 50! Last few have been explorer ventures, maybe I need to start branching out to different companies.

I love liveaboards but as a person in my twenties I really have nothing to talk about with people in their sixties. I love the alone time but am wondering if there are liveaboards with more people my age or even 30-40?

I went on a mid-range Egyptian Red Sea liveaboard last year, on the Northern Route, and I was probably the oldest guy on the boat, at 53. There were a couple of people my age, but the age distribution was pretty even across the 20s, 30s, 40s, and early 50s. It was a great group, and I enjoyed pretty much everyone's company.

My impression is that the less expensive trips probably draw a younger crowd on average, for obvious reasons.

Didn't read the entire thread, so someone may have already stated this. The older divers I've met are simply young people trapped in old bodies. My dad lived to 83 and was never an old man. I'm coming up on 70 and hope to never be an old woman!
I am quickly approaching my 61st birthday, but I have a VERY active "inner 5 year old".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom