Liveaboard with fewer old people?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's an idea, talk to a travel agent or a liveaboard booking agent - they get all kinds of information about demographics and popular destinations and activities and can help you find a good match! And they want to sell vacation trips, so they are motivated to help you!

I've posted this question below in the LOB marketplace forum to see if we get any answers:
Demographics and Liveaboards

Last edited:
There are also way less younger divers in numbers than old fart divers like us according to all the independent scubaboard studies and discussions. Diving is in a diminishing stage right now with fewer and fewer young people getting into it, so the ratios are off.
Get more of your young friends into diving, then you’ll have more people your age to dive with.

Then there’s the money thing.
There was a time window in my young life where I made decent money and was not married yet with children. I could have done liveaboards or dive vacations if I was into diving at the time. Unfortunately, I was not a diver then so the point is sort of moot. That was also the early 80’s and I’m not sure there even were liveaboards then.

My advice, get your friends into diving, help grow the culture, and go as a group :wink:

Us old farts will be out of it soon enough. Just hope that all the liveaboards don’t dry up because all the old geezers are gone.

You might try the Juliet. www.julietsailinganddiving.com I dived with them in St. Croix in January and there was a nice mix of ages on the boat (20 somethings to 70s). Also the crew was pretty young, so if you ended up with a bunch of us old fuddy-duddies :) as divers, you still have the crew to relate to. It's a small, fun boat. We really enjoyed our trip and plan to join them again in the future. All IMHO, YMMV. Good luck.

My daughter was on a liveaboard somewhere in Indonesia a few years ago. She didn't book it in advance but found it while traveling. She said the food was good, but they slept on the deck. With all my aches and pains sleeping on the deck would be out, as I'm sure it would be for a lot of other "old" people.

If you do want to stick to the more expensive/luxurious boats you could always socialize with the crew. On our recent trip all three divemasters and both panga drivers were under 35.

I've been on 3 liveaboards now, and Mike Ball in Australia was the only one that wasn't average age 50! Last few have been explorer ventures, maybe I need to start branching out to different companies.

I love liveaboards but as a person in my twenties I really have nothing to talk about with people in their sixties. I love the alone time but am wondering if there are liveaboards with more people my age or even 30-40?
There's lots of topics to talk about: global warming, politics, Russia, Donald, the Middle East...:stirpot:

If you look at common themes in responses you've gotten, I think cheap/budget is a clear winner when you want to associate with younger divers. If there's a dive shop, or dive group, in your area, people you know are going, that's a plus.

But maybe you'd benefit from considering land-based options that offer whatever it is you like about live-aboard, particularly since it might be easier to find a local group headed there. Is it the 'turn key' simplicity? An all-inclusive resort can do that. Is it high volume diving? There are locations where, at least with some operators, you can get in 3 or 4 dives per day (e.g.: I did 20 in 5 days with Rainbow Reef Dive Center in Key Largo in 2013 and 12 in 3 days in St.Croix in 2017; shore diving Bonaire can equal a live-aboard's dive count, I hear you can clear 20 in a week boat + shore diving CocoView Resort in Roatan, etc...).

I, too, like live-aboards, but land-based you could mingle with your own age group topside in some places, even if the dive boat was packed with us oldsters (I'm 49).

Richard.

If you would consider cold water diving, the California based charter boats have a lot of young people on them. They are affordable and the diving culture here serms to involve a younger crowd, as opposed to say a landlocked location where it always involves a flight to a tropical destination.
We seem to get the young, fun in the sun, surfer, water types, and most are locals.
Worth a shot, but the water is cold.
If you’re into playing with sea lions this is the place.

I find the phrasing of the original post title interesting and maybe telling. Rather than more young people, fewer old people.

Old people, ewww!

I find the phrasing of the original post title interesting and maybe telling. Rather than more young people, fewer old people.

Old people, ewww!

LOL! It does sound rather patronizing, doesn't it?

But it is the OP's vacation and he/she can choose to spend that precious time however (and with whoever) he/she wants.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom